Fighting rental company for repair charges

Soldato
Anybody done this and won?

My daughter and her friend went to Milan a few weeks ago, booked hired a car from here at the airport. I had told them to be careful especially to ensure that any existing damage was marked on the paperwork, which my daughter states they did.

On returning the car, the lady booking the car back in points to a scratch on the side of the bumper to which my daughter and her friend said it's already listed on the paperwork but according to the lady as only the front of the bumper is marked this is damage that they must have caused. Now when they took the car out they queried the condition and another lady told them don't worry the bumper is noted on the paperwork.

So they asked for pictures of the car before they took on the rental, they produced pictures showing an unmarked bumper but the picture was taken back in February.

As they had a flight to catch they noted on the paperwork that they aren't agreeing to the scratch on the bumper and that the evidence pictures were taken back in February and left.

Back in the UK they have now been charged 250 Euros. Talked to the credit card company who asked them to contact the company to ask for a breakdown of the costs, emails sent but no reply, so they rang up and were assured the breakdown costs would be sent, I also asked my daughter to get evidence that the repair had actually been carried out as well.

To date the credit card company seems to want to pass the buck which I can't understand, so has anybody successfully challenged and won and how?

Soldato
OP
It’s just strange that even though the bumper is circled the women claims that hat only means the front. I guess it must be a nice little money earner. Have told my daughter to leave a crap review on both the booking site that she used and if possible in the actual hire companies website.

I like others above have hired cars in Europe and touch wood have never had a problem. I remember in Lanzarote I got handed the keys to a Seat, got to the car and it’s covered in marks, dents and scratches so I went back and the women just wrote on the paper dented all over without so much as a care.

Soldato
OP
I'm hiring a car in Malaga later this month, my first time hiring abroad.

Went with a company that seems to be reasonably well reviewed - a couple of the really cheap ones were terrible. I'm a bit anxious about it, though have taken out comprehensive hire cover which, it says, covers me for any charges the hire company makes for damage.

The problem with this is they will still charge you and it’s then up to you to then claim it back from what I’ve read.

I’ve told my daughter and her friend to simply dispute the charge, with my credit card company they would normally send you a form to fill in but this company wants them to do the leg work.

Back
Top Bottom