file corrupt - any ideas?

Ole

Ole

Associate
I was in the middle of something on the PC, just filling in an application form and burning a movie off on nero, and then we had a power cut (we've had bad storms today). Once the power came back on i restarted the PC (i use a surge protector so i wasn't expecting any problems) and i get this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

So i tried to do this, and it goes to the repair console, but then it does nothing and it just stays on a DOS looking screen waiting for me to input a command. Any ideas on what i need to do?

Ole

Ole

Associate
OP
Curiosityx said:
Are you using the "Fast" Repair option or the "Manual" Repair option?

You could also have stumbled into the Recovery Console.

I think i just pressed 'r' and it took me into one console or another. I think at the top of the screen it said this console was used for both repair and recovery, does this sound right?

Ole

Ole

Associate
OP
Just tried it again and the only repair option it gave me from my windows xp home CD was to repair using the recovery console, i see no options for a fast or manual repair.

What's going on here? I've never had to use these features before.

Associate
If you want to repair your windows install, you need to ignore the first prompt of pressing "R"... choose install windows... it will then proceed and check for any previous versions of windows, it will then say there is already a version of windows on this partiton, do you want to repair press "r" or continue without repairing Press (ESC)

you need to choose "R" at this point... and it will go through your windows setup and replace relevent system files but keep your data & settings (this is the general rule of thumb, however its not 100% certain, got a back up?) most of the time it goes through without any problems...

the other way is:

there is a folder called "repair" in C:\WINDOWS\ containing your so-called "missing" files... however these are created after the first boot of the install.... so replacing them often changes settings back to default etc and sometimes your data goes, errr "walkabout" and it doesnt always work, it depends on what "other" files have become corrupt etc... i've replaced these files before on my system and its worked perfectly ok after, and other machines ive tried it just won't have any of it :( to do it, you need to use the recovery console (press the first R... the dos prompt as you called it, then rename the old files... and copy the ones from the repair folder in) or plug ya hdd into another machine and just copy them straight over

bit of reading for you here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

$c8t@

Last edited:

Ole

Ole

Associate
OP
I just tried it the way you said, and when i got in to look at the different partitions when you are on the screen choosing where to install windows it is appearing as if there is no data on the drive. When i selected the drive where windows is installed- hoping i would then be given the option of repairing the installation, this is the message that came up:

The partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted, or formatted with an incompatible file system. To continue installing Windows, setup must format this partition.

D: Partition1 [Unknown] 190772 (190771 Free)

What should i do now? Has all the data been lost? I'm praying that it hasn't but it isn't looking good. I don't want to tell it to format the drive if there is any chance of recovery.

Man of Honour
Try using some of the commands that appear when you type in HELP

I think it's something like "chkdsk \p" that checks the disk and recovers errors, worked for me when I had a bad boot file.

Soldato
Zefan is correct chkdsk /p will do a complete disk check and will try to fix any problems.

The file that is missing or corrupt is the SYSTEM HIVE file there is a backup in your windows folder c:\windows\repair but this file is from when you first installed windows. If you use this backup file to get your system working again not all of your software will function properly, but it will allow you to get at any important data and put it somewhere safe so you can format and start again.

To copy this files dow the following

Reboot with the windows cd in the drive and press r to goto the repair console

first run chkdsk /p and then restart to see if this solves the problem (sometimes it does)

If the problem is still there then reboot and go back into the repair console

type the following for the file to be replaced

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

press yes to copyover the existing file then reboot and you should be in business.

Soldato
BigBoy said:
Zefan is correct chkdsk /p will do a complete disk check and will try to fix any problems{snip}
You mean /R, CHKDSK /R...

chkdsk8gd.jpg

Implies also /P (In DOS/Recovery console mode). Will take a while longer but very effective :D

A serious power-blackout knocked out my system & would not even find hard disks. Turned it off, opened case, swapped cables (SATA) & that seemed to bring them back. Then did CHKDSK /R from Windows Recovery Console, which on my system is installed as a bootable option...
Windows Help and Support Center said:
To install the Recovery Console as a startup option
  1. With Windows running, insert the Setup CD into your CD-ROM drive.
  2. CLick Start and select Run.
  3. Type the following where D: is the CD-ROM drive letter: D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
Follow the instructions on the screen.
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom