"Filling a car up using a petrol cap is against Tesco policy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
243 petrol station fires in 11yrs

So what did set off those 243 petrol station fires? Most of the time, static electricity was the culprit. We've all seen or felt a spark from clothing. If you are wearing synthetic clothes in the dryness of winter, and are sliding in and out of the car, across the synthetic material of the car seat, then you can build up a big static charge. Then, if the earthing wire on the petrol hose is broken, when you touch the metal nozzle of the petrol hose to the metal neck of the petrol tank, you can discharge a visible spark. Even more dangerous, from the static electricity point-of-view, is filling up a small fuel drum.

i still say

d9a5399a-846d-4db5-895e-0835.JPG

Soldato
243 petrol station fires in 11yrs

So what did set off those 243 petrol station fires? Most of the time, static electricity was the culprit. We've all seen or felt a spark from clothing. If you are wearing synthetic clothes in the dryness of winter, and are sliding in and out of the car, across the synthetic material of the car seat, then you can build up a big static charge. Then, if the earthing wire on the petrol hose is broken, when you touch the metal nozzle of the petrol hose to the metal neck of the petrol tank, you can discharge a visible spark. Even more dangerous, from the static electricity point-of-view, is filling up a small fuel drum.

i still say

http://londonbikers.com/forums/uploads/Images/d9a5399a-846d-4db5-895e-0835.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]You are going to have to touch the nozzle, so there will be a discharge anyway?

If you put the nozzle in, click it to auto, hang around and wait for the pump to stop, then remove the nozzle, I suspect any potential nastiness is minimised. It's no more dangerous than touching the nozzle twice, which people do all the time. Just don't drive a car with velour seats.

Associate
The interwebs, where logic doesn't exist and people will argue til their last breath.

If that's the rules of the petrol station they have put the policy in place for a reason - if you don't like it, drive to another station, until you find one with a sign outside that says, "Lazy people, over here".

Man of Honour
You are going to have to touch the nozzle, so there will be a discharge anyway?

If you put the nozzle in, click it to auto, hang around and wait for the pump to stop, then remove the nozzle, I suspect any potential nastiness is minimised. It's no more dangerous than touching the nozzle twice, which people do all the time. Just don't drive a car with velour seats.

If there is a static discharge when a user first lifts the nozzle then there isn't a signicant amount of fuel or fumes to ignite. But when returning to the nozzle a second time after auto/cap-lodge then (1) there is potential for a build up of static from the moving fluid or from the user, resulting in increased risk of a discharge, (2) there is now flammable fluid and fumes exposed to oxygen and an ignition source.

Associate
It's always good to know there are people out there willing to test each and every safety device, in public areas, till they find the one with the manufacturing defect. So long as they do it when nobody else is around I have no issue with their need to live life out on the edge ;)

Soldato
If there is a static discharge when a user first lifts the nozzle then there isn't a signicant amount of fuel or fumes to ignite. But when returning to the nozzle a second time after auto/cap-lodge then (1) there is potential for a build up of static from the moving fluid or from the user, resulting in increased risk of a discharge, (2) there is now flammable fluid and fumes exposed to oxygen and an ignition source.
I could just start the pump, let go, start the pump and it would have a similar affect as the heinous crime we are discussing. In fact, I sometimes do this if my hand gets a bit crampy on a 70 litre fill. Granted, I won't go for a walk around, but I'm suspicious how much static builds up if I'm standing near the pump and not rubbing balloons in my hair while operating a chainsaw.

Man of Honour
I could just start the pump, let go, start the pump and it would have a similar affect as the heinous crime we are discussing. In fact, I sometimes do this if my hand gets a bit crampy on a 70 litre fill. Granted, I won't go for a walk around, but I'm suspicious how much static builds up if I'm standing near the pump.

Yes you could and if you don't let go of the nozzle then there is very little risk of any static discharge.

If you let go of the nozzle and then grab it again, the risk is still minimal.

But if it's cold and you get back into your car, rub against the seats, etc, then get back out and grab the nozzle again then the risk is increased (it's an extremely small risk but it is certainly there).

Soldato
Yes you could and if you don't let go of the nozzle then there is very little risk of any static discharge.

If you let go of the nozzle and then grab it again, the risk is still minimal.

But if it's cold and you get back into your car, rub against the seats, etc, then get back out and grab the nozzle again then the risk is increased (it's an extremely small risk but it is certainly there).
My leather seats aren't going to be generating much static, nor are my leather-soled shoes - leather is quite resistant to that.
There's no need when I can just get back in my car.

Man of Honour
My leather seats aren't going to be generating much static, nor are my leather-soled shoes - leather is quite resistant to that.There's no need when I can just get back in my car.

So there is absolutely nothing that you wear or touch by getting back into the car that could generate a static charge?

And what about the potential for moving fluids (ie petrol being pumped) causing the static charge?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The UK is one of the few countries that have removed the pin to hold the catch while filling.

Just LOL at people in here trying to justify it!
It's useful because you can check your oil, or walk round your car checking things while it's filling up.

Bunch of right weirdos on here :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom