Filling holes in ceiling (expanding foam = lol?)

Soldato
Okay so my ceilings look a bit like Swiss cheese at the moment, after having a bit of a nightmare installing some surround sound speakers!

Anyway, i've got a few chunky holes that need filling and I was wondering what the best way to fill them would be!

Someone suggested first plugging the holes with kitchen roll/newspaper that's been soaked in a polyfilla/water mix, then to fill over it. I'm assuming that's the usual way?

I was thinking of being a bit lazy (seeing as i've got loads of holes) and using some of that expanding foam stuff, to fill in the worst of it, then polyfilla to smooth over the last bit?

Any advice appreciated, thanks! :D

Soldato
OP
Oh? How so? Just messy?

I should probably mention that some of these holes are about an inch in diameter....... if that makes any difference!

Soldato
OP
I'd avoid expanding foam - it's evil stuff and getting the right amount in so that it expands "just enough" would be a nightmare. How about sticking something behind the plasterboard, then stick a bit of plasterboard to that to fill the majority of the hole, then fine surface polyfiller to make good. Something like:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/repair.htm

Hmm I thought about that for filling the holes in the walls, but the gap between the ceiling and the "exit hole" in the loft - is about half a metre! (I had to use a pretty huuuuuuge drill bit haha)

Associate
Okay so my ceilings look a bit like Swiss cheese at the moment, after having a bit of a nightmare installing some surround sound speakers!

Anyway, i've got a few chunky holes that need filling and I was wondering what the best way to fill them would be!

Someone suggested first plugging the holes with kitchen roll/newspaper that's been soaked in a polyfilla/water mix, then to fill over it.

Any advice appreciated, thanks! :D

Do it this way then just sand and paint over.

You have to fill the holes with somthing first which is why paper is suggested.

Associate
Expanding foam will:

a) probably expand too much and be impossible to smooth off.
b) possibly force more plaster out or at least crack more of what surrounds the hole.
c) drip onto your clothes/hair/carpet and bond with it.
d) release toxic fumes to make you high and and sting your eyes.

Please post pics :p

Soldato

This is always going to be your best option.

A few things first:
Not sure what you're getting on about with that half metre gap thing?
As you have mentioned that the holes go into to the loft, rather than putting the extra board with contact adhesive (as in the link) through the hole, why not simply fix a piece of board from the other side of the hole.
Having done that, that still leave you with the matter of making good.
Guessing that you ceiling has either 10 or 12 mm board already on it, that'd be a 10 or 12 mm gap you need to fill.
Personally, I'd suggest a multifinish plaster for this job (plasterer/painter and decorator for 20 years), polyfilla is ok but tends to bag if applied in large amounts over large areas.
Once applied you can 'play' with it till you are happy with the finish.

Like to see pics to give a better assessment.

Edit:
Disown the person that suggested the kitchen roll/newspaper approach! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of 6mm ply bit longer then the hole, cover with PVA, put it above hole, screw or two through the plasterboard each end to hold it in place, cut bit of plasterboard right size to fit hole, more pva, put it in hole, screw to hold it in place, let glue dry, then remove all screws and fill over with polyfiller :)

Soldato
OP
This is always going to be your best option.

A few things first:
Not sure what you're getting on about with that half metre gap thing?
As you have mentioned that the holes go into to the loft, rather than putting the extra board with contact adhesive (as in the link) through the hole, why not simply fix a piece of board from the other side of the hole.
Having done that, that still leave you with the matter of making good.
Guessing that you ceiling has either 10 or 12 mm board already on it, that'd be a 10 or 12 mm gap you need to fill.
Personally, I'd suggest a multifinish plaster for this job (plasterer/painter and decorator for 20 years), polyfilla is ok but tends to bag if applied in large amounts over large areas.
Once applied you can 'play' with it till you are happy with the finish.

Like to see pics to give a better assessment.

Edit:
Disown the person that suggested the kitchen roll/newspaper approach! :D

Cool, i'll give it a go and try to get pics!

As for the actual thickness of the ceiling, it's hard to describe, but basically there's plasterboard, then the actual ceiling. So when you drill down "from" the loft, you first go through the floor board in the loft, then you have a gap of about 10" or so, then you hit the actual ceiling. So, using the method of covering it with another bit of board, then smoothing it over with plaster, won't really work...... unless i make a massive hole in the top layer, so I can get access to the 'ceiling' layer lol

Oh and also, with some of these holes I've had to drill right next to joists (not through them!) so that will also make it fiddly.

Associate
Hows about cutting some plaster board to fit the hole (Make it slightly smaller). Use some B&Q instant grab adhesive to glue it in place (Glue round the sides). You can also use the adhesive to fill smallish gaps. Then some lightweight filler and a bit of sanding to make it good.

Back
Top Bottom