Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
Mixed feelings after playing the demo. Combat is horrible, in both classic and normal mode. The rest of it seems great but the combat system completely ruins the feel of the game :( Demo is pretty short too, looks pretty decent but feels more like an action game now rather than RPG.

How does classic mode actually play, do you just do the commands.

I played the EGX demo but didn't have the choice and going to skip this one and just buy the main game.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I played the EGX demo but didn't have the choice and going to skip this one and just buy the main game.
Basically all it does is put your character on auto to do the normal fighting and defending while you do the commands as your meter fills up. You can always take over and fight anyway.

I will probably play with it on as it is easier to switch between characters and just issue commands. Hopefully you can turn it on when on the Normal difficulty, as Easy mode really is a bit too easy. If not I will play Normal.

Overall I liked what I saw. Sure I would have preferred if they kept the combat system like the original, but in the absence of that this is not to bad, as I kind of got used to this from FF15.

Looks stunning on my PS4 Pro and OLED and can’t wait for my preorder to drop through the door :)

VTR

VTR

Soldato

There's 3 modes, Classic, easy and normal. Classic has the same difficulty as easy. The attacks and defense are automatic then you issue commands each time the ATB gauge fills, it's really easy though and it feels like the game is doing a lot for you, normal mode isn't much better as it's just press square to attack, hopefully it improves later in the game. Feels like FF15 at the moment rather than FFVII. Still going to buy it on release but really wish they had kept the turn based combat.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Feels like FF15 at the moment rather than FFVII.
It has been known for over a year now that it would be like this, so I was prepared. Probably why I enjoyed the demo more than someone going in not knowing what to expect.

Still going to buy it on release but really wish they had kept the turn based combat.
+1

Turn based would have been much better. I think they are just worried younger audiences would not want that and be underwhelmed.

Soldato
I've never got on with 15's combat etc, so I will still play on classic.

I'm not too concerned about easy mode, it's more just the feeling of seeing the game in all its glory and hearing that iconic sound track again.

If easy mode means I can sit back and watch it like a movie, so be it :D

Soldato
Just heard about this demo dropping today. Don't have a PS4 so have borrowed my Daughter's as she doesn't use it very much. I will continue to borrow it for the full release but may look out for a second hand one of needs be later.

Hoping to get an hour or so on this later once it's downloaded.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
It has been known for over a year now that it would be like this, so I was prepared. Probably why I enjoyed the demo more than someone going in not knowing what to expect.

+1

Turn based would have been much better. I think they are just worried younger audiences would not want that and be underwhelmed.

Yeah I knew it wasn't going to be turned based and had seen plenty of videos up until now, thought classic would have given more of the original feel though. Still can't wait to play the "full" game though in 5 weeks.

Soldato
Had a play through the demo. Love the sound track, liked the graphics and the character interaction was great but I wasn't really a fan of the combat. May just play it on easy classic mode to enjoy the story etc.

Will still be purchasing though.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah I knew it wasn't going to be turned based and had seen plenty of videos up until now, thought classic would have given more of the original feel though. Still can't wait to play the "full" game though in 5 weeks.
Ah. I see what you mean. I was a little disappointed with this also truth be told, but not surprised.

I just hope they have not messed up the materia system. I loved the way it was and hope they enhanced it rather than completely reworked it. But again my guess would be it is the former.

Soldato
Must admit I'm struggling initially with the combat system, then I also did with FF15.

Once I do eventually beat guard scorpion I will try again in classic mode.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Ah. I see what you mean. I was a little disappointed with this also truth be told, but not surprised.

I just hope they have not messed up the materia system. I loved the way it was and hope they enhanced it rather than completely reworked it. But again my guess would be it is the former.

Yeah that was my next thought after the combat, it's bad enough they're not releasing the full game in one, then the combat :( if the materia has completely changed as well it was be a massive let down for me. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it but the feeling at the moment is that it could have been so much more! Turn based combat, original materia system and releasing the full game would have been epic! Game holds a lot of memories from me from my childhood and is still my number 1 game of all time.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Same here man. If not number 1 then certainly top 3. Hard to say, but it is up there. So many fond memories.

Deus Ex and Half Life are a very close 2nd/3rd :) I've got the week off when it's released anyway, still really looking forward to it!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Deus Ex and Half Life are a very close 2nd/3rd :) I've got the week off when it's released anyway, still really looking forward to it!
Deus Ex is also in my top 3. Might be number 1 or 2. Half Life might make it into top 10. Loved HL2 and the episodes back in the day, but do not get the urge revisit it as much as say Resident Evil, which I relatively replay quite often. Resident Evil would also probably make it into my top 3, at least the first 4 of them (they are much shorter games).

Soldato
I heard there's no more random encounters, is this true... ?

I cannot say for 100% certain in the FF7 remake, but these days, most JRPGs have the enemies seen and wandering around as you travel the world, so you can choose to run at them or not.
I would expect the FF7 remake to be the same.

Still, as for the demo, i'm really not a fan of live combat.
It feels too chaotic and you cannot appreciate what's going on around you.
I've always been a 'plan ahead' kinda guy in my RPG battles, so prefer turn based.
Still.... I'll see how I feel in the full game.

Back
Top Bottom