Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
Damn. You completed it a second time already? I got it 4 days before release and do not have 40 hours on the clock yet and I have been playing a lot lately :p

Thanks for the tip. So far I have done everything as far as I can see. Just doing all the missions in the be simulator at the moment before moving on to complete chapter 16 :)

I will likely complete it by Friday.

Yep, I've had the time to play it a LOT!

If anyone wants any advice for what I believe is the strongest setup for hard mode it's in the spoiler below.

I'm going to assume you have 6 slot weapons if you're on hard mode.

Cloud Hard Edge: Luck Up | Barrier | Time | MP Up | HP Up | Hp Up
Armor Chain Bangle: Elemental linked to Immunity required | Revive | Healing
Accessory: Transference Module

Aerith Reinforced Staff: Prayer | Magic Up | MP Up | MP Up | HP Up | Hp Up
Armor Cog Bangle: Magnify linked to Healing | Revive
Accessory: Healing Carcanet

Barret Big Bertha: Barrier | Time | Revive | MP Up | MP Up | Hp Up
Armor Cog Bangle: Elemental linked to Immunity required | Healing
Accessory: Otherworldly Crystal (Doesn't really matter what you pick for Barret, I later gave him Transference Module and Cloud Gotterdammerung).

Tifa Feathered Gloves: Barrier | Time | Revive | MP Up | HP Up | Hp Up
Armor Cog Bangle: Elemental linked to Immunity required | Healing
Accessory: Champion Belt

Cloud pumps out damage with his sword
Aerith tops you off with heals
Barret tanks from range and is easy to switch to for quick ATB from any position if Cloud becomes CC'd, or on fights like the VR Simulator

This was the setup I used for the VR Hard mode only battle against the Ultimate Weapon (Pride and Joy Prototype) I used Cloud, Aerith and Barrat (due to range for Bahamut which is the hardest of the 5 fights and Leviathan). Tifa is great during Stagger as these battles have the longest Staggered phase and you can get your Stagger well over 300% but it's damage vs range/more survival/easier time IMO despite a supposedly lower time to kill. You need Barrier on all chars for Bahamut since his ultimate ability will otherwise 1 shot your team (You can use Barrets defensive ATB on himself). Aerith has Reinforced Staff also for this reason in case of a holy **** moment with Reprive. Time for Haste for more ATB filled.

If you aren't doing difficult content you can switch Elemental to weapons with Fire or Lightning (or your preference depending on enemy). Luck Up increases your crit hit chance and you can get 2 of these. You can remove some of the Barrier + Time Materia for this as well as try Steadfast Block which is really good among a few other DPS choices I haven't mentioned.

It also goes without saying that other setups will work, this is just my own that made "hard" mode, quite easy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I finished it just now and to be honest the whole experience has left me cold.

On the plus side, I liked what they did with Jessie and Aerith & Red XIII were cool, and the last Shinra bit was good with a certain family member.

But...

I still don’t enjoy the combat, the slums felt like it was produced by a ‘b’ team of developers, if I see another ladder to climb, crevice to creep through, ghost things, random slow walk sections or have to hear Barrett’s voice again it’ll be too soon.

I don’t think I’ll follow up with the next releases and stick with the originals.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I am on chapter 18 end of the road. I hope it is not literally the end of the game. Lol. I do know it is the last chapter :(

I have like 105k Gil and bunch of moogles or whatever they are called plus wanted to go in the vr sim again before the game ends. Looks like I won’t get a chance :(

Soldato
I am on chapter 18 end of the road. I hope it is not literally the end of the game. Lol. I do know it is the last chapter :(

I have like 105k Gil and bunch of moogles or whatever they are called plus wanted to go in the vr sim again before the game ends. Looks like I won’t get a chance :(

You'll get the chance once you finish Chapter 18, you'll unlock Chapter selection along with a number of other things.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Finally completed it. Will give it a 9 out of 10 overall. But it is no way near a 10 out of 10 for me. For that they would have needed to have the whole game in one go and remove the filler stuff which over half of it was borderline poor.

I finished it in 42 and a half hours. That is with heavy exploration and all side quests being completed.

I am glad it was remade, but I would have much preferred if they had kept to the original turn based fighting and just tweaked that. Also for the whole game to just be remade nearly exactly like the old with very little extra added. Basically updated graphics and sound. That would have been a 10 out of 10 then.

Soldato
Finally completed it. Will give it a 9 out of 10 overall. But it is no way near a 10 out of 10 for me. For that they would have needed to have the whole game in one go and remove the filler stuff which over half of it was borderline poor.

I finished it in 42 and a half hours. That is with heavy exploration and all side quests being completed.

I am glad it was remade, but I would have much preferred if they had kept to the original turn based fighting and just tweaked that. Also for the whole game to just be remade nearly exactly like the old with very little extra added. Basically updated graphics and sound. That would have been a 10 out of 10 then.

I'm glad they've done some of the things that they did, but wish they didn't go overboard with it and the whole destiny arc didn't exist within it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm glad they've done some of the things that they did, but wish they didn't go overboard with it and the whole destiny arc didn't exist within it.
Agreed.

I am actually left fancying playing the original now. I know there is a mod that improves the graphics etc, but that does not launch the steam exe and I fancy hunting down some achievements. I do not usually bother with them, but for my most favorite games I find them fun :)

Soldato
I am actually left fancying playing the original now. I know there is a mod that improves the graphics etc, but that does not launch the steam exe and I fancy hunting down some achievements. I do not usually bother with them, but for my most favorite games I find them fun :)

haha I’m in exactly the same boat thinking to try it again but with the seventh heaven mod that works with the steam version, I heard it’s very good and recently got updated

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
haha I’m in exactly the same boat thinking to try it again but with the seventh heaven mod that works with the steam version, I heard it’s very good and recently got updated
Edit: Seems I needed to go to the network tab to enable cloud saves. But even when I did my old cloud save where I was on the 3rd disk got deleted.

Last edited:
Associate
Just finished the Remake, i will play though again on Hard gradually as id like the Plat Trophie. Overall very impressed with the job they did also a 9/10 from me and am thinking about finishing the original again!

Soldato
I'm on the last chapter, just about to finish it. Overall I've loved it. I think they've done a great job recreating the start of Final Fantasy 7, even if they did pad it out way too much.

I am struggling to see the point of the whispers...
If this is just a way to not kill aerith then it will go down as one of the most pathetic decisions ever!

Seriously what a load of nonsense though! I don't see the point in that part of the story at all... If you didn't play the original it will mean nothing to you. If you did its just telling you the story will be different, and I'm not sure how to react to that other than with worry considering the way Square Enix seem to be writing new stuff (that bike guy, the weird girl who turned up a few times I think her name was kurie or something... I don't want to see any more of them! ). Overall though, take out the whispers and the story did hit all of the main beats. I would actually disagree with anyone who says it isn't a faithful remaking. Changes to the plot were only minor really or just additions to flesh it out. I liked all of the main story other than the whispers bits.

Soldato
I'm on the last chapter, just about to finish it. Overall I've loved it. I think they've done a great job recreating the start of Final Fantasy 7, even if they did pad it out way too much.

I am struggling to see the point of the whispers...
If this is just a way to not kill aerith then it will go down as one of the most pathetic decisions ever!

Seriously what a load of nonsense though! I don't see the point in that part of the story at all... If you didn't play the original it will mean nothing to you. If you did its just telling you the story will be different, and I'm not sure how to react to that other than with worry considering the way Square Enix seem to be writing new stuff (that bike guy, the weird girl who turned up a few times I think her name was kurie or something... I don't want to see any more of them! ). Overall though, take out the whispers and the story did hit all of the main beats. I would actually disagree with anyone who says it isn't a faithful remaking. Changes to the plot were only minor really or just additions to flesh it out. I liked all of the main story other than the whispers bits.

The point of the whispers isn't to add anything to the plot of the original as such it's

To allow the next game/s to diverge wildly from the original. The whispers appear whenever characters try to diverge from the plot of the original in a way that would change fate significantly (that's why they protect Barrett for example) but with them destroyed then the next games can be on a totally different timeline where it is indeed possible that Aerith won't die.

Soldato
To allow the next game/s to diverge wildly from the original. The whispers appear whenever characters try to diverge from the plot of the original in a way that would change fate significantly (that's why they protect Barrett for example) but with them destroyed then the next games can be on a totally different timeline where it is indeed possible that Aerith won't die.

Agreed with the exception of replacing the word Destroyed with Defeated. We don't know if their gone for good.

Soldato
Yeah i know what they are, I'm just struggling to see the point. As I said, if you've not payed the original it means nothing to you that the story will be different. If you have, it's signposting some things that I don't think anyone is going to be happy about. I mean, to add this whole plot device to the game they must want to make some pretty massive changes to the story if they need all this nonsense to justify it. They don't need to invent all this rubbish if all they want to do is change the order they do things, or just have a minor character turn up early or something.

And if it is used to save aerith, what a cop out. That would be a joke.

Sigh, the more I think about it this is what they are going to do isn't it :(

Soldato
I think I'm done with it.
Bahamut keeps killing me and you have to restart the battle before you even enter the singularity :/
F-that !!
To be honest, I've been burned out with the game ever since I even got into the Shinra building and I've just been slogging through the motions, praying that the damn thing would just end already.

Sounds like I'm really down on it, but I DID enjoy the game.
Flawed but great fun and surely an 8/10.
But yeah.... I'm just done.
Peace out !! :D

Soldato
The more I think the sadder I feel that they've broken the game up. When I think back to the first time I played FF vii, the feeling after leaving Midgar realising you now have a whole world map to explore with different environments was amazing!... Its also amazing that this many years later they are unable to make more than one of those environments in a full priced game.

I would have loved the game as it is now, but with a small open world attached with Kalm, chocobo farm and a few forests etc(create new encounter with Sephiroth around the Midgar Zolom bit) . Even then it would be around the same as a dlc for The Witcher 3...and Toussant is far more intricate than Midgar's corridors!

Back
Top Bottom