Final Fantasy XIV

Soldato
Anyone playing this at all?

Free trial can take you to 60 completely free and the base game and first expansion are included with that.

Gave it a go many years ago, but other commitments got in the way. Finally have got round to playing it and can't stop now. Currently level 73 and just onto the final expansion.

Playing on Odin in the light server group in case anyone is or fancies giving it a go.

Soldato
I've just logged in for the first time since about 2018 due to the free 14 day campaign thingy. I didn't really plan on getting back into it, but I've been doing little bits here and there, trying to remember how to play. I even bought the Endwalker expansion for the XP boost Earring bonus item.

Gotta say though, it's tough seeing my old Free Company disbanded and the guys I used to play with have all left. So I'm kinda on my own again which sucks. It's difficult finding that right group to play with in FFXIV because of the nature of how the Duty Finder pairs you with people from all servers, so you'll likely never see or play with them again. It's why i liked the old FFXI social system; meet up with people to do stuff with and if you get along, add to friends and join the Linkshell. I don't really fancy playing "Free Company roulette" :p :D

I'm currently playing on Lich.

Soldato
This game is currently going through a huge surge in popularity in part due to some big streamers on Twitch playing it.

The free trial is tempting for anyone, but I don't want to get sucked into an MMO again :p

Associate
I have started playing this casually, its nice to be able to log on and knock a few quests out without any massive time commitment. I am at level 54 working through the end of ARR. I am not used to playing a MMO with rotations and so many ground effects/mechanics in group play (I played EQ1 for years and its nothing like this) so I am on a bit of a learning curve but its quite satisfying.

I'll be honest I skip most of the cutscenes, there are so many and I always find these stories a bit hokey anyway.

Soldato
I really want to like FFXIV. Currently level 69 Ninja. I always get bored and quite, come back for a few weeks months later before getting bored again.

I don't know why it doesn't click with me. On paper it should tick all my MMO boxes. It pushes me back to WOW almost every time though.

Soldato
OP
I really want to like FFXIV. Currently level 69 Ninja. I always get bored and quite, come back for a few weeks months later before getting bored again.

I don't know why it doesn't click with me. On paper it should tick all my MMO boxes. It pushes me back to WOW almost every time though.

Never played retail, only vanilla and classic wow. Nice to actually have to dodge stuff in FF, keeps you more awake definitely. :p New expansion in November as well, so trying to get as much done prior to that.

Soldato
Never played retail, only vanilla and classic wow. Nice to actually have to dodge stuff in FF, keeps you more awake definitely. :p New expansion in November as well, so trying to get as much done prior to that.

I'm only really playing TBC at the moment.

I can't put my finger on it. I think maybe it's the floaty combat/movement. I also really don't rate the story (unlike most others). I don't know. I'll probably push through to 80 and see what happens.

Soldato
I last played this many moons ago when it was first released but looking to have another bash at it. I think I've missed a free trial so what do I need to play the game now? Do I just buy the complete edition and, if so, does that come with 30 day sub?

Associate
I last played this many moons ago when it was first released but looking to have another bash at it. I think I've missed a free trial so what do I need to play the game now? Do I just buy the complete edition and, if so, does that come with 30 day sub?
If by first released you mean the 1.0 version, then you do have ARR on that account at minimum though purchasing the complete or starter editions will come with a 30 days of play included.

The free trial is not a limited thing, but it will require a new account since any account that has a paid version of the game activated on it can't be used for the free trial nor can an account that was on the free trial tier be rolled back to it after activating a license for either the starter or complete edition.

Soldato
I think I bought ARR in 2013 so it was probably 1.0.

If I buy the complete edition I assume I just install and add it to my account? No doubt I'll have to recover the account cos it's been so long since I last logged in!

Associate
I think I bought ARR in 2013 so it was probably 1.0.

If I buy the complete edition I assume I just install and add it to my account? No doubt I'll have to recover the account cos it's been so long since I last logged in!
1.0 was the original release before it was levelled and ARR was released, but since you made the purchase in 2013 it would have been ARR and not the 1.0 release.

And as long as you can log into the mog station without having to go through recovery methods, you can add the license key for the complete edition to the account, download and install the launcher and then wait while it downloads.

Soldato
1.0 was the original release before it was levelled and ARR was released, but since you made the purchase in 2013 it would have been ARR and not the 1.0 release.

And as long as you can log into the mog station without having to go through recovery methods, you can add the license key for the complete edition to the account, download and install the launcher and then wait while it downloads.
Logged in, bought the complete edition and downloaded. Will have to wait till tomorrow to play though.

Soldato
Been playing for a month now and got to lvl 38. However, it's not really gripping me like other MMO's have, not sure how much longer I'll play it though.

Not played it myself but everywhere I look the majority talk about how ARR is the worst playthrough/level up. Once you go into the next expansions is supposedly much more enjoyable.

If you've got this far I'd probably push through the levelling experiences and then you'll have a good idea whether its for you or not.

Associate
It took some time for me to get used to the fact that MSQ is really just a visual novel.

Post ARR patch content is a slog I won’t lie.. it’s literally go here, speak to this person, repeat.

Heavensward onwards though..wow. Shadowbringers even better.

Soldato
It took some time for me to get used to the fact that MSQ is really just a visual novel.

Post ARR patch content is a slog I won’t lie.. it’s literally go here, speak to this person, repeat.

Heavensward onwards though..wow. Shadowbringers even better.
This is what's killing me at the moment! Just done a quest where I had to travel to/from the same place about 4 times, will stick with it though to see ARR through and go from there.

Associate
Yeah I actually unsubbed originally for the same reason but then came back around May this year.. mmo itch!

While you shouldn’t have to.. I keep things fresh by doing like 5 msq quests, then levelling a gatherer, then doing a daily roulette, then earn some MGP at the gold saucer etc.

It’s just a perspective thing, if people expect WoW style quests it can be quite jarring to be fair.

The community is amazing though.. even WoW refugees don’t seem to have changed that which is great.

Associate
This is what's killing me at the moment! Just done a quest where I had to travel to/from the same place about 4 times, will stick with it though to see ARR through and go from there.
The ARR quest line you're doing isn't what it was like over a year ago as they removed several quests in an attempt to make it less of a slog.

Associate
I started playing back in June, having got fed up of WoW. I've levelled up WHM and DRG to 80, and have a few lower level jobs too. The post ARR patch content before Heavensward is the biggest slog to get through, but once past that it all gets much better, Heavensward and Shadowbringers are excellent.

Soldato
Are you also levelling gathering/crafting skills at the same time as doing the MSQ? I've got botanist to lvl 30 and carpenter to lvl 20 but think I should just concentrate on the MSQ for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom