Final Fantasy XVI a good game?

I loved it, my favourite main series FF (as in not spin offs or remakes) since 10 by a country mile.

It's quite divisive though, the combat being DMC-light is pretty accurate, some are going to enjoy it while others wont. I really enjoyed the story and setting, the cast was largely fantastic with some excellent voice acting too.

There is a demo that covers the first few hours of the game that you could try, although it's not entirely representative of the full game.

I thought it was awful. Bland writing ( the opening 2 hours aside ), a repetitive / shallow combat system and some major technical issues ie. poor frame rate / resolution. Also, be warned the combat is atypical for Final Fantasy games - it's very much in the style of Devil May Cry, but a vastly inferior version. I can't recommend this game, even to die hard Final Fantasy fans. The ones that idolise it on Reddit etc are all Gen Z and grew up with Final Fantasy 14 MMO, believing that's how FF has always been.

Last edited:
I thought it was awful. Bland writing ( the opening 2 hours aside ), a repetitive / shallow combat system and some major technical issues ie. poor frame rate / resolution. Also, be warned the combat is atypical for Final Fantasy games - it's very much in the style of Devil May Cry, but a vastly inferior version. I can't recommend this game, even to die hard Final Fantasy fans. The ones that idolise it on Reddit etc are all Gen Z and grew up with Final Fantasy 14 MMO, believing that's how FF has always been.
Indeed. I liked it, but never finished it. Final fantasy is no longer top dog when games like persona and metaphor exist imo etc.

Final Fantasy are no longer for us old school people anymore. That went away with Final Fantasy 15.

But SquareEnix still have plenty of turned based games without the Final Fantasy name which are good.

I finished it and regret every hour that I invested. Very boring and tedious - boss fights especially just drag on far past their welcome.

Final Fantasy are no longer for us old school people anymore. That went away with Final Fantasy 15.

But SquareEnix still have plenty of turned based games without the Final Fantasy name which are good.

Buddy, that went away with FF13 let alone 15.

It's been cack since 10 imo, don't get me started on the terrible dress up game that was 10-2.

16 isn't perfect but it hits a note and does a better job than anything sans 10.

As for the supposed geriatrics, I'm 40 years old and I was big into FF in the PS1 era. If I don't enjoy a game I don't put 30-40 + hours into it like the above guy apparently did. I've better things to do with my time, why on earth would you invest that much into something you're not enjoying?

Atlus (Persona/SMT/Metaphor) are fantastic, but they're super lengthy and in depth by comparison. Persona 5 is a 100 + hour JRPG, Metaphor looks to be the same. I'm loving Metaphor but I'm struggling to find the time to actually play it properly, but I'd also say it's a very different type of game by comparison to any FF title.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom