Final Spec for the new rig

Associate
Some of it's gutted from the old one rather than replacing things that don't need it. Stuff with a star I'll be ordering over the weekend.

AMD Athlon FX57 San Diego 90nm (Socket 939)*
Asus A8R-MVP Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2
ATI Radeon X1900 ***Crossfire Edition*** 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)*
CoolerMaster Stacker 830 RC-830
VapoChill Micro High End (Socket 754/939/940)
Akasa AK174CB-4BLB 120mm Blue LED Fans*
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

The salvaged parts from the old rig are my Asus DVD-ROM, the HL DVD-RAM, my Audigy 2 Platinum Pro and most importantly of all, my Antec TruBlue 480 PSU. A long time Intel man, I'm going to AMD this time.

Not cheap, but at least it'll be ready for a good few years to come.

Soldato
hmm.. id go for the XT-X over the crossfire edition, i think its cheaper and its faster.
also, if you can find one anywhere, look into an Opteron of some kind. whether it be Dual or Single core. it will probally cost less than an FX57 and clock better. matching or even beating it in terms of performance.

EDIT: i notice you want this machine to be future proofed, if this is the case then i would strongly reccomend you look into a dual core cpu. and possibly a new psu.

oooo and another thing :p go for x86 over x64.. im running x64 and it has more issues than benefits.. meaning lots and lots of software isnt compatible with it. go for XP Home then look into Vista possibly.. but x64 is not worth buying. seriously :o

Last edited:
Soldato
naffa said:
hmm.. id go for the XT-X over the crossfire edition, i think its cheaper and its faster.
also, if you can find one anywhere, look into an Opteron of some kind. whether it be Dual or Single core. it will probally cost less than an FX57 and clock better. matching or even beating it in terms of performance.

EDIT: i notice you want this machine to be future proofed, if this is the case then i would strongly reccomend you look into a dual core cpu. and possibly a new psu.

oooo and another thing :p go for x86 over x64.. im running x64 and it has more issues than benefits.. meaning lots and lots of software isnt compatible with it. go for XP Home then look into Vista possibly.. but x64 is not worth buying. seriously :o

Very good advice, get the opteron 170 for X2 4400+, the thermaltake big typhoon cooler and the x1900xt-x card :)

Associate
For the price of an fx-57, you can get:
AMD Opteron UP 180 Dual Core San Diego 2.4GHz 2MB Cache (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-154-AM)

Much better choice

Associate
OP
Couple of changes on the back of what's been said here:

HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+

The heatsink I'm torn on. 813G for the one that was mentioned just seems way too heavy for a vertically mounted mobo unless I'm overlooking something. I also seem more drawn to the X2 chips for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom