Final Year Project - Help on Database Options

Associate
Hi,

So I've decided that my final year project will a Hotel Management System

I will most likely code in Java

The question I wanted to ask was, what databases are there for java (storing info like Customer Details, Booking, etc) ?
and which one is the best (well, most easiest :D ) to use?

I know a couple:
-Microsoft Access
-Oracle SQL

Thanks
I'm way behind schedule with this FYP, so... :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies,

but, a friend jogged a memory of mine, and recommended me to do a web-based version of this

Using:
HTML/CSS - webpages
PHP - send/receive data from database
phpMyAdmin - Database

I'm very familiar with these languages, so...

would this be a better choice? and a better chance of me receiving a better mark on my Final Year Project? compared to previous approach??

Assassin, check your university library for past dissertations for inspiration.

i have, not many people done much regarding a management system.
i've seen one project that was about a hotel booking system
but, the info isn't enough.

Associate
OP
Just throwing another option into the mix. You could try a asp.net c# with Visual Studio 2012 Express for Web and Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition 2012. Will allow you to learn something new and also get experience in a widely used platform used in industry.

Thanks for your option, though I doubt I'll be able to do this, considering the time i have. Anyhow, I'll look into this, thanks

So, hang on... first you decided to do a Java-based project working with Access or Oracle, but now that a friend has "jogged your memory" and reminded you that you can use PHP, you've decided to ditch that idea completely and go for a web based version?

Have you actually drawn up a specification for the hotel management system that you're trying to create? Do you know what features you intend to develop, how the system will work, etc?

A web-based solution is no better or worse than a desktop client, assuming that you have done the groundwork to correctly identify WHY you're choosing a particular solution, the pros and cons, etc.

What kind of experience do you have in all the languages etc. that you've named as part of your course? I'm starting to get the impression that it's not much to be honest...

And phpMyAdmin isn't a database, it's a tool for managing MySQL. If you don't know the difference, you should look up both.

sorry for the sudden change of mind, I'm not ditching the project, I'm still in the phase of making a decision right now.

tbh, I'm pretty clueless myself as to what I'm doing at the moment, i took a week thinking of a project, and this is the only idea I came up with which I think is pretty much do-able
As for pros/cons well, i haven't got into that yet..

Oracle, i have used it once, it was an annoying database to use at first, but i guess i can handle it with this project.
MS Access, not so familiar as I haven't even touched it for years.

As for my skill in programming languages:
I am great at using HTML/CSS and PHP. Created a website with it. php is pretty simple, and easy to understand
Java, not so much, tbh java is one of the worse languages I have ever encountered, I just can't seem to understand much about it.
though, my lecturer says it was designed to be easy to learn...so....

so, the reason I suggested the web-based is because I have an idea in how I can implement this management system.

the pros would be:
-customers can register and book appointments online
-everything could be accessed online

as opposed to the Java management system, it will be localized, therefore customers will not be able to book appointments unless they reach the hotel.
also, I do not have an idea in how i can implement/(or even) code this in java yet..

hope this explains most the things..

and thanks for your reply.

I'd say:

Oracle <-- if you want it on your CV
PostreSQ, Mysql (or the MariaDB fork) <-- which would be my choice as they are OS
Apache DB <-- for pure convenience (it's a little known database but it is pure Java and can either run embedded or as a stand alone database)

I see, thanks for the info, I'll look into this,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom