find out if viewer came from adwords? possible?

i've got some tracking code my PPC management company gave me to use on the site to track conversions.

as it's some google JavaScript thing i couldn't see any way to use that for myself, so wondered if there was a method anyone knew of that would tell me if the visitor came from adwords?

i want to add it to the success page of my online quote form so that in the quote i'm emailed it also adds the line that they came from adwords. will mean i can directly track which exact customer that books with us came from adwords

Soldato
OP
There is a service called Google Analytics which lets you set up goal tracking on your site, and this could track your AdWords performance.

doesn't really help with my needs

i want to add it to the success page of my online quote form so that in the quote i'm emailed it also adds the line that they came from adwords. will mean i can directly track which exact customer that books with us came from adwords

thanks it does. i've realised i can just add a variable to the domain that will set a cookie and do the same thing.

Soldato
OP
Firstly, manage it yourself, we've just moved from having Yell.com manage our PPC and it was shocking. I've had more activity in the last 3 days than they had in 2 weeks.

this is just a temp thing to be honest. i've run adwords myself for years as well as seo but looking to spend money on improving our rankings. they also do a ppc management service, so have opted to try them out on a monthly basis and see what i can learn from them and what improvements they can make.

i've set up what i need now with adwords, so now when someone visits the site through adwords the url they go to is mywebsite.com/cleaning/index.php?adwords=carpetcleaning

that creates a session, and then when that user does an online quote or contact form i will be emailed a line saying they came from adwords and what ad they came in from.

this has got me thinking. is there any other basic easy information i can gather that will show the source if from natural listings? i don't want to browser or anything but perhaps if they came through google, bing, direct etc.

please don't mention analytics as that is not what i'm after. i just want to know some basic information about the user that fills out the forms.

Soldato
OP
That is analytics :confused:

What user information are you after exactly?

perhaps if they came through google, bing, direct etc.

the search query would be good too but as i understand it that's no longer available from each single visitor?

That is analytics :confused:

can you tell me how i get the information then.

for instance, i've just had a lady fill out our quote form. her name is anna and she lives in guildford at xxx address. she wants a 3 bed house cleaned with carpets. i have her email, phone number, address, name, ip.

can you tell me how i can find the information for her alone within google analytics, the information being how she got to the site, and also the search query if possible?

Back
Top Bottom