Finding super unleaded petrol stations

Associate
I'm going to be heading to Newport in Pembrokeshire and after the fun I had finding a garage which sells super unleaded in Cornwall was wondering if there's a way to find garages before I leave. Using super unleaded petrol station as a search on Google maps isn't coming up with anything confidence inspiring!

Caporegime
petrolprices.com will let you search by filtering fuel type.

You need to sign up for a free account though, and you're limited to 100 searches, but it should do you for a while.

Associate
Well it kind of does matter Haze if the car has been designed as such. I have an old datsun (350z) which must only use small quanities of 95 if it is absolutely necessary. Wouldn't fancy running even one tank of it through tbh...engines have blown up from using too much 95.

Soldato
None of the sites seem to track 98 pricing though, and they all seem to rely on users sending them prices anyway.
I usually use Sainsbury's for 98 - they all carry it don't they ?

Depending on what car it is, it may be pointless even using it
Are there cars that do not benefit at all ?

Soldato
None of the sites seem to track 98 pricing though, and they all seem to rely on users sending them prices anyway.

The higher RON just increases the combustion temperature. That will only benefit engines with a high compression ratio, beyond the point where 95 would detonate before the spark (just from being compressed). Which is usually high revving NA ones.

Associate
Most normal (ie boring) cars wont see any uplift at all in using super/99rom ect - performance cars will likely have a small uplift.
Jap imports and cars mapped for super or better will see quite the difference.

However it wont die just running a tank of 95 through, as long as you dont hash it hard you will be fine especially on a motorway or something.

Caporegime

Sainsburys only sell 97 I thought

Associate
The higher RON just increases the combustion temperature. That will only benefit engines with a high compression ratio, which is usually high revving NA ones.

Nope, turbo charged motors especially ones with higher boost need the better fuel - remapped NA cars like my MX5 and other non blown engines will also benefit.

Soldato
Nope, turbo charged motors especially ones with higher boost need the better fuel - remapped NA cars like my MX5 and other non blown engines will also benefit.

Most turbod engines are fine on 95 unless you specifically tune them for premium. If the car's manual doesn't say you need 98 RON then you don't need it and you won't see any gains from it. It won't effect the performance of the turbo.

Associate
Hence why i mentioned higher boost, that said some earlier cars like my old SX used to be slightly happier on 97 or 99 even without tinkering with the mapping or blow level - it just used to feel "better", more smooth and a little sharper.
Nowadays a low pressure turbo in a normal everyday cooking model prob wont see a lot of good from it, unless the boosts been wound up or remapped.

Soldato
Apparently they put added cleaners in the premium fuel, in theory might keep your injectors cleaner, and possibly not go off as fast in storage, it's all very marginal though.

But in most cars it won't make a difference, intact I had an old Corsa once that would run like crap if you put premium in!

As for the original post, you can get additives for that, so fill with 95 and put additive in to boost up the RON.

Associate
Yeah if your really worried then a bottle of octane boost could be used but the uk 350 doesnt really need it, it wont go boom unless its not in the greatest of health in the first place.

I once used BP ultimate, the most expensive of the so called super unleaded fuels. It was awful, lit the knock gauge up list a Christmas tree.
It was pants petrol.... tescos own 99 is actually quite good, as is shells 99 of course.

Associate
OP
I have a Revo remap on my Audi. I rather not risk getting knock by running lower octane fuel. Not sure if the 1.8T BEX engine has a knock sensor or not? The one downside to having a remap. I should have put this info in my earlier post to save the debate about higher octane fuels :D

Thanks for the replies all.

Back
Top Bottom