Firewire card advice, please.

Associate
There are approx. 30 Mini DV tapes awaiting my attention.
Unless I've gone totally ga-ga, there's no IEEE1394 facility on my Asrock Z370 Extreme 4 motherboard.
So- suggestions please for a reliable Firewire card, suitable for a dabbler-level inexpert operative. Preferably with an internal on-board port to easily connect to the front-of-the-case port.
It needs to be compatible with:-

My wallet,
Asrock Z370 Extreme 4
Win 10 Pro 64,
2x 8 Gb Vulcan T-Force DDR4 3000Hz,
256 GB WD Black NVME SSD,
2x Samsung 1000GB HDD,
all running from an old Corsair 650Watt PSU.
The camcorders still available to me are: JVC GR-D240, Samsung VP-D55.
In all probability, most of the videos will feature one leg walking:rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Firewire has been obsolete for a long time, your best bet is just a PCI-E add-in card. Pretty much anything should work.

Obsolete- granted. I've tried 3 (also obsolete) add-in cards. With and without the Legacy drivers. Sometimes the camcorder will show on This PC/Devices & Drives but that's as far as it gets.
I last used Firewire on an Win 98 rig and it also worked on up-grades with XP and Vista.

If I'm missing something, it will be something dumb!

Associate
OP
^ Grimley. Movie Maker rings a distant bell. Can't say for definite 'cos I'm sure that whatever it was opened automatically.
Maybe that's the dumb thing I'm missing- some software?
Anybody out there able to confirm if windows Movie Maker is included in Win98, Win2000, WinXP, Win Vista original disks. I still have all of those. Could quick-fix my older Biostar mobo and spare Firewire cards parts just to achieve video transfer.
Or is this another daft ideas?!

Associate
OP
OK, I'm back. Family sorted:rolleyes:.
Some good info above. At the moment I'm contemplating (dangerous- I know!) dual-boot with Win7, as per a very recent fortnightly magazine. Any snags with the procedure in that publication?
My Samsung camcorder has an SVid connection. I'll try that next.

Before I started this 'capture-my -dvtapes' thing, the weather was lousy/wet/windy/cold. Trapped indoors. Now- dry, warmish ,sunny, dry, a garden calling and this conundrum arrives! I guess 'tis because life is boring without variety and excitements!

Associate
OP
I may have solved the problem. Found a £10 Shuttle SB51G on Gumtree. It's loaded with ports, including Firewires. Slight new problem- it's running Lubuntu :confused:. Every time I take a shufti at Linuxes I think favourably of Windows. Often.
Will be installing XP Pro or Win 7 Pro with a refreshed hdd.
Any comments? Be gentle- I'm not intending to be expert, only able.

Back
Top Bottom