Firm mattress recommendation please!

Soldato
Hey guys, I need a new mattress something super firm, as hard as possible as I have a bad lower back, I've been a Nurse for 9 years now and my lower back is shot from all the bending over for years and years.

I've got MRI coming up to see what is going on but need to get mattress in the mean time.

I don't have a huge budget, like £250 just want something as hard as possible because as it stands I am more comfortable sleeping on the hard floor than my current mattress.

Thanks in advance!

Associate
This is way out of your budget but maybe you can use your blue light card to get it cheaper?

I love a hard mattress and so bought this one a couple of years ago:
https://www.mattressman.co.uk/mattr...the-legend-ortho-2020-king-size-mattress.aspx

This thing is heavy, very heavy and you need to flip and turn it so may ruin your back just trying to do that. Make sure you can get it up your staircase as it does not bend or flex.
I can sit on the edge of the bed and it won't compress.

Soldato
OP
This is way out of your budget but maybe you can use your blue light card to get it cheaper?

I love a hard mattress and so bought this one a couple of years ago:
https://www.mattressman.co.uk/mattr...the-legend-ortho-2020-king-size-mattress.aspx

This thing is heavy, very heavy and you need to flip and turn it so may ruin your back just trying to do that. Make sure you can get it up your staircase as it does not bend or flex.
I can sit on the edge of the bed and it won't compress.

Thanks buddy for the recommendation, I think a little out of my budget unfortunately! I did see mattressonline have an NHS15 discount , which I got in my NHS mail.

I only need the mattress to last about 6 months to be honest as I'm emigrating to oz so was thinking would something like this be ok ?

https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Product/Romantica-Adagio-Extra-Firm-Mattress-P1396

Can get it for £169 delivered with my discount, reviews seem to say it's really firm!

Soldato

Don't know why that's funny. If that genuinely is the most comfortable then personally I'd probably just convert the bed instead; sheet or two of ply on top of the existing slats and a thin/as thin as you're willing to go mattress topper. Or just go full on Japanese and sleep on the floor with a mattress topper.

The firmer the mattress = more/better springs = more expensive. A cheap firm mattress will be terrible, as in it either won't be firm or you'll be able to feel the metal springs digging into you.

Soldato
That's not a bad idea, hadn't actually thought about sleeping on the floor long term. Thanks for advice mate :)

No worries. You said it yourself in the OP :D.

I get that it's a visual/cosy thing as well though, which is why converting the bed may work for you. Two sheets of 18mm ply in a manageable size to collect will come in at ~£35: https://www.diy.com/departments/mdf-board-l-1-83m-w-0-61m-t-18mm/1696265_BQ.prd. Easily fittable and removable/reversible, assuming your existing bed is wooden and has flat-ish slats.

Associate
We've got a pocket sprung one from Ikea, we got the hard version and i've found it excellent. Compared to our old one my back feels loads better, dont think it was that expensive, maybe 200ish?
I don't think any Ikea mattresses can be considered extra firm unfortunately. Only 1 of the ones I laid on I'd consider firm and towards the bottom end of that rating as well.
The issue you might find is that firmer mattresses that are still comfy tend to have higher numbers of pocket springs (though they don't have to, this is my experience) and this means they are usually more expensive.

GL with the search. The cheapest extra firm I'd recommend is about £450+ though, which is a Shire Bed Co Sandringham that has 3000 pocket springs and is great.

Associate
Thanks buddy for the recommendation, I think a little out of my budget unfortunately! I did see mattressonline have an NHS15 discount , which I got in my NHS mail.

I only need the mattress to last about 6 months to be honest as I'm emigrating to oz so was thinking would something like this be ok ?

https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Product/Romantica-Adagio-Extra-Firm-Mattress-P1396

Can get it for £169 delivered with my discount, reviews seem to say it's really firm!
Looks ok - and if you are emigrating I wouldn't be spending too much on it anyway.

Caporegime
Out of your budget, but they do sometimes sell off their returns a lot cheaper. I've had lower back issues, and this has sorted me no end.

John ryan by designs.

Soldato
OP
No worries. You said it yourself in the OP :D.

I get that it's a visual/cosy thing as well though, which is why converting the bed may work for you. Two sheets of 18mm ply in a manageable size to collect will come in at ~£35: https://www.diy.com/departments/mdf-board-l-1-83m-w-0-61m-t-18mm/1696265_BQ.prd. Easily fittable and removable/reversible, assuming your existing bed is wooden and has flat-ish slats.

Thank you mate for the info, I am going to be ordering this today. I read a lot of reviews on these extra firm mattresses and they appear to sag after a few months. I'm quite looking forward to this little diy project :) thanks again for all the info fellas.

Caporegime
Thank you mate for the info, I am going to be ordering this today. I read a lot of reviews on these extra firm mattresses and they appear to sag after a few months. I'm quite looking forward to this little diy project :) thanks again for all the info fellas.

I'd just do away with the bed and get a sleeping bag. You know the things people use when out camping in the woods in tents and stuff.

You could likley reduce your overnight thermostat settings too and save money with a sleeping bag.

Associate
Hey guys, I need a new mattress something super firm, as hard as possible as I have a bad lower back, I've been a Nurse for 9 years now and my lower back is shot from all the bending over for years and years.

I've got MRI coming up to see what is going on but need to get mattress in the mean time.

I don't have a huge budget, like £250 just want something as hard as possible because as it stands I am more comfortable sleeping on the hard floor than my current mattress.

Thanks in advance!
Hard mattresses for bad backs is an old wives tale. You need something that contours to the natural back shape, not something so hard you end up with pressure points all over your body.

If you've not bought already, buy something with a sleep trial policy and see how you get on. Once shops are open, go to a decent bed shop and try a few

Caporegime
Hard mattresses for bad backs is an old wives tale. You need something that contours to the natural back shape, not something so hard you end up with pressure points all over your body.

If you've not bought already, buy something with a sleep trial policy and see how you get on. Once shops are open, go to a decent bed shop and try a few

There's a difference between hard and firm.

I've used soft mattresses and I don't like them. I prefer ultra firm.

Also everyone is different it's why is he Ryan offers different options in terms of firmness.

Soldato
OP
So I've been sleeping on the floor with sleeping bag and a yoga mat for the last week or so and finding it miles more comfortable than the bed, so going ahead with the making something permanent like suggested above with some ply !

Caporegime
So I've been sleeping on the floor with sleeping bag and a yoga mat for the last week or so and finding it miles more comfortable than the bed, so going ahead with the making something permanent like suggested above with some ply !

Look into pallet beds unless you have something already your going to modify with ply on top. I'd stick ply on top of a stack of pallets.

Back
Top Bottom