First car (Mii/Up!/Citigo)

Associate
Hi there,

Looking at one of these for my daughters first car, from what I can see, apart from being a bit pricy for what they are, they seem to be pretty decent and reliable, anyone know about these and what I should be looking for?

Engines seem to range from 60/75/90bhp, having done some quotes it looks like 60-75 is my best bet for 'reasonable' insrance, the 90 is a bit too much as is the GTi despite me having much want for it, I don't fancy the young driver 2.5k insurance premium on it.

Cheers

Last edited:
I saw that some were zero VED but think that changes after 2017 to standard tax rate, is that correct, I'm looking to buy a newer one as I wrote my Abarth off last week :( so need some wheels 'til next year, giving me time to procrastinate on the replacement, when I am done I will use it for my daughter to learn, we'd probably have it for 5yrs or so whilst she works the insurance down, so having a little newer to start with it should hopefully last well.

Last edited:
Yup, done this already and they really aren't cheaper, most of the bigger cars start at 2k for the quotes we have done even when sub group 5, quite surprising.

The little VAG box on wheels is half that and had a decent safety rating 'till the test was changed, bit like my Punto that went from 5 stars NCAP to zero, it didn't get less safe over time.

As a car for getting around a city, why do you need more really.

Last edited:
They are all prices from telemetric policies, bloody costly for youngsters.

I'm not really a big fan of a big bruiser as a single user city car to be honest, unnecessary, its partly why I'm struggling to choose a new daily, for sure it'd not ideal as a motorway cruiser, that is obvious, it's little triple would cry.

Whilst it is small it's not that bad, similar width to my MX5 or a Mini within 5cm, and 20cm shorter mostly because it's got a tiny lawnmower engine up front :D

Last edited:
Checking some of the MOT histories on the used cars I have been looking at, that issue has popped up on a couple, along with mention of imbalance, so seems a weak point but not expensive.

Last edited:
We looked at pretty much everything and honed in on these because she likes them and feels comfortable, as do I, it's her car after all and she is paying for it (well half anyway, I'm matching the rest)

Should hopefully pick one up this weekend, we have a choice of 3 we have whittled it down to plus a GTi wildcard, just need to convince the missus that an Up! GTi is a perfect first car now and that she won't kill herself in it, because I have to use it too and I'd rather have a touch more oompf than 60bhp. :D

I'm covering the insurance anyway so the extra premium is going to be my penalty.

Last edited:
Yup they are low profile and we have enough problems as experienced drivers in our own cars, my tyre budget is ridulous :D, still the tyres are a 3rd the price of our cars and she's pretty good, we do under 17s driving already and also it's a decent car for club motorsport so we'll do hillclimbs, sprints and solos in it until she is old enough for go in my MX5 (juniors not allowed in soft tops) another reason for wanting some go, even though it'll never be truly competitive as you can run 2litres in class so clios/type rs etc. are a much better pick but insuring her on one of those......

Though I better double check the bluebook rules haven't changed to makes sure 999cc with turbo multiplier doesn't take us over the class limit.

EDIT - we're golden, still under 2 litre with a 1.7 multi, a point my Punto failed on so was unable to compete in standard class.

Last edited:
I live in Bristol everything is a theft risk :D I'm paying her insurance regardless, so I can cover it.

It's also maybe a bit flash for a 17 year old. I expect the standard models are fun enough to drive.

Quite possibly but it's not exactly a rocket ship despite the GTi badge, it's more a styling exercise, but also has more safety kit, perhaps I am robbing her of the teenage act of barrying up her first car as it comes pre-done :D

Last edited:
Deed is done, teenage me would have killed for this :cool:

It's surprising how spacious it actually feels.

IMG-20240810-125112.jpg

Last edited:
Yup they look like the original tyres and look close to ageing out on the rear rather than wearing out as I saw the tyres before the tyre shine went on and weren't the best, whilst no cracks, rubber just had the old look, so I will replace all four soon, its a similar age and mileage to you.

Looks like a spare could fit in the bottom, might be a good idea, as a family we have tyre popping form.

Last edited:
As was mine, a £180 1.0 metro, which I spent most weekends sanding, filling and painting, but every parent strives to do better for their kids, mine will never know the things I had to endure, in the same way I never had to endure what my parents did, this has its pros and cons, I think I am happier about being able to do this for her than she is to receive it :eek: kids today eh, don't know their born :D

She's a bit apprehensive about driving it, she's only known my Abarth Punto, which was a bigger car with good glass house and great mirrors inside and out, the Up not so good, its mirrors are pathetic and despite half the power feels like its going faster because of the lesser refinement and diminutive size, this has benefits for not breaking limits, missus kept telling to slow down despite not cracking the limits :D surprisingly the Up suspension is not so hard edged as the Punto, considering it size I was expecting it to be a lot worse.

She'll have a good 7hrs or so behind the wheel by next week I'm sure she'll be fine by then once she has adjusted.

Last edited:
Well couple of hundred miles in, the car is a little cracker, really does feel bigger than its size and is perfect for around town, seems like it'll be cheap to run despite city stop start traffic etc, appears to be averaging 52mpg (assuming computer is accurate) will find out when I fill it next week I guess.

it's not actually that bad at motorway speeds, tyre noise from the rear the worst problem but happily Scoots along and is comfortable.

Even used it for a tip run, you can get a fair bit in there due to its boxiness :eek:

The GTi ness of it is a bit of a stretch, coming from an Abarth it was always going to be a let down for me but it goes well enough for a first car and has enough modern gear to feel like it is not something from the 90s despite driving like something from there :D Actually better specced than the Abarth it replaced. :cool:

If it was mine, I'd make it more GTI with some choice upgrades in power and handling.

Also lighting seems poor, I'm sure its lighting range is about 50% less than the Punto, so hooning country lanes a little trickier, so I'll do the bulbs see it it helps, maybe they can be adjusted up more.

Its amusing putting this in our local car parks, I mean my old Punto was small at 4m long but this thing at 3.6 makes the spaces look huge :D whereas my Volvo barely fits in any.

Need to find a good mount for the in built phone clip, or 3d print one, all our phones are too big.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom