First ever Macbook - new to MacOS - tips? What to expect

Associate
I have had Ipads and Iphones for years but never had anything running MacOS. As work has shifted us all over to VDI I have pulled the trigger on a Macbook (12) to use for travel and to finally try out MacOS. (and damn DPD for not delivering it today as promised).

Only ever used Windows before.

Any tips? What will surprise me about it?

Man of Honour
It's probably worth getting a book or watching a few videos on YouTube for macOS for beginners.

Depending on how much of a power user you are you may want to look into iStat menu's, which gives you a decent overview of what the computer is doing, as I find Activity Monitor a but pants compared to Task Manager in Windows.

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

Another great app is Better Snap Tool. Windows manipulation within macOS is still not there when compared to Windows, this handy app gives you the mouse drag windows to size, maximise etc, definitely worth a look.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the apps suggested.

So far so good now it is here. Installed my usual daily apps. Even installed Civ 5 but not sure how well that will run in later game. Some pleasant finds so far is a rather nice Sky Go app which runs smoothly in a window. I like the multiple desktop thing and the three finger swipe between.

The unlock with Apple Watch is a little flaky but maybe I just need to get used to putting my wrist nearer.

Commissario
I disagree with the comment about installing iStat Menus. Windows users tend to seem to always want to watch what the OS is doing and monitor the performance stats but with macOS, you really don’t need to know. Just let it work, enjoy the OS and don’t worry yourself about what’s going on under the hood. That’s one of the things I like. It just works without the constant tinkering and tweaking.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the further responses. Loving it so far. Touchpads are fantastic once the gestures become second nature.

Some further questions if I may
1 - Having had Windows for years I have stopped worrying about separate Virus and Firewall software as the embedded works well without hitting the performance. Do I need something for my Mac? I am comfortable with a small degree of risk.
2 - I have bought a small hub with all sorts of connections. If I got two monitors working; within a Mac is it possible to stretch a window across two monitors and maximise it. This would be needed with Citrix receiver if I wanted to replace my Windows PC so I can use my work VDI?
3 - Can I uninstall the bundled apps? I can't see me using the MacOS office apps or Garage band etc?

Commissario
1) I don't bother. Some do, I don't. The built in security in macOS is generally accepted to be superior to the built in security in Windows.
2) Citrix Receiver (now Citrix Workspace) automatically maximises itself to fill all available monitors.
3) Yes. I'm not even sure if they come with the OS or whether you have to choose to install them yourself from the macOS App Store.

Permabanned
I concur that Keynote is far better than PowerPoint, not sure I'd agree about Pages and Word though.
Keynote, that’s the name :)

Yeah - it’s quite noticeably better than PP

Pages vs Word I suppose is more on use case. Word has various advanced functions that aren’t available in Pages. But if you’re drafting a normal document, pages will make it look a lot better, aesthetically.

Commissario
Spotlight search is awesome, it's how I've always launched apps and loaded documents. Tap cmd-spacebar, type a few characters and hit enter. I did try Alfred a long time ago and I don't remember it offered anything which spotlight doesn't already.

Associate
OP
Cmd-spacebar - noted.

Thanks for the advice on Security. I will leave as is for now. On the Office Apps I will take a look.

I can see a Mac Mini being bought soon to put into the office......This is going to get expensive.

Man of Honour
Spotlight search is awesome, it's how I've always launched apps and loaded documents. Tap cmd-spacebar, type a few characters and hit enter. I did try Alfred a long time ago and I don't remember it offered anything which spotlight doesn't already.
Agreed, I've never seen any need to use another other than Spotlight.

Caporegime
Buy Magnet
Buy Magnet
Buy Magnet
Buy Magnet
(or as above - better snap tool. I own both, and prefer magnet for simplicity and animations, but BST works a little more consistently)

Check this guy's playlist (anything Mac OS related): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRG_ZSZ22bFLQ2CRNTTKgqxu3m0lGwnzp

Some handy tips on there :)

I was coming in to say this, if you're used to Windows management of windows then you'll need magnet.

Enjoy the oh so sweet trackpad, single best thing about MacBooks IMO, its so nice to use :cool:

Back
Top Bottom