• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First "FULL" review of Skylake

Associate
OP
At the bottom there's a discussion about that in the comments section, they suggest a couple of factors.

"But games wont see a difference since they dont use newer instruction sets plus they are mostly gpu limited."

and

"it looks like there is the need for some driver refinement. In benchmarks where the CPU is the main contributing factor we clearly see Skylake in the lead over DC even with lower clockspeeds. However, in the games the final results obviously are not merely based on raw CPU performance but on the interaction between CPU and GPU where there's still the need to get everything tuned properly."

There appears to be some concensus that the games can't use the latest instruction sets, and are not so much CPU dependant as GPU. Also that the driver set up between CPU Motherboard, and GPU are not yet fully optimised.

Associate
OP
1.4 will degrade a Sandy 32nm after only a year, so they must have done something. Very stringent QA on CPUs, not like GPUs.

There are claims of a new voltage regulator underneath the chip, if the Voltage is measured going into the chip, then it might well be higher than the actual voltage the silicon is getting.

Associate
OP
Interesting quote:

"As we are seeing now, processor performance has reached a bottleneck where a multi-core processors don’t deliver significant benefits and applications more and more rely on single threaded and single core performance. Intel processors have great performance when it comes to single threads but multi-core designs such as the Core i7 and Core i5 don’t get utilized properly and we see slight gains when gaming on discrete graphics cards running a Core i7 and Core i5 processors. It is necessary for software developers and programmers to implement new methods to leverage performance by fully utilizing a piece of silicon whether it be CPU or GPU"

Back
Top Bottom