First Full Suspension MTB - Trek Fuel Ex, Specialized Stumpjumper or something else ~£2500

Soldato
As an avid commuter I'm looking to get back into mountain biking this summer and would like to replace my decade old hardtail MTB with a new full suspension model. Looking to spend about £2000-2500.

Initially I was considering either a Specialized Stumpjumper or a Trek Fuel as it's mainly light trails / XC. So thought a low-mid travel 29" model would suit my riding best. First thoughts were either a :-

Fuel EX 7 Gen 6

Stumpjumper Alloy

The Trek is over budget but was on sale last week for £2300 so presumably it'll be back at that price again in future! Was erring towards the Trek as they do an M-L Size which should fit me near pefectly at 5"9. With the Specialized I'm between sizes (S3/S4) so would have to choose. The S3 I sat on a few months back felt a bit small to me so probably would opt for the larger S4 size.

Any thoughts, suggestions or other recommendations?

Any advice appreciated!

Soldato
OP
Haven't rode either of those but the trek is a significantly better spec.

Yeah, several folk have commented that the spec of the entry level Stumpjumper isn't amazing compared to other options. Unfortunately my local bike shop doesn't have any Trek Fuel's in my size though they do have a Stumpjumper S4 which I've arranged to test ride next week.

If the Stumpjumper S4 is OK fit wise I noticed they did actually have the upgraded Stumpjumper Comp on sale for £3000 (allegedly reduced from £4000). At risk of being drawn into the upsell (and going over the budget I set myself) given a carbon frame, upgraded brakes and suspension componenets it's maybe worth considering spending an extra grand for it instead of the base model?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, several folk have commented that the spec of the entry level Stumpjumper isn't amazing compared to other options. Unfortunately my local bike shop doesn't have any Trek Fuel's in my size though they do have a Stumpjumper S4 which I've arranged to test ride next week.

If the Stumpjumper S4 is OK fit wise I noticed they did actually have the upgraded Stumpjumper Comp on sale for £3000 (allegedly reduced from £4000). At risk of being drawn into the upsell (and going over the budget I set myself) given a carbon frame, upgraded brakes and suspension componenets it's maybe worth considering spending an extra grand for it instead of the base model?

Honestly will probably come down to exactly what type of riding you are going to do. All 3 will be more than capable on light trail / XC.

I would likely get the cheaper one and spend the saved money on riding trips, coaching etc.

Most important thing is get the right size.

Back
Top Bottom