First gaming PC with future proofing to allow for rolling upgrades

Associate
Hi all,

I had hoped to pass on my aging PC on-to my son when I performed a wholesale upgrade on my system, but that sadly didn't come about.

Therefore, I wondered if there was a bare minimum specification for an entry level PC that would offer the most future proofing and way of adding upgrades twice a year or so, or as sales allow (not including the graphics card, which would obviously be a larger investment) - so an initial starting point that provides quick system that he can use for school work, in addition to the odd game he plays (mainly Minecraft these days) but without the need to play the latest cutting edge titles at maximum specification. I'd rather have a desktop over a laptop as it allows for easier upgrades (or certainly that used to be the case...).

Budget always comes up in these questions, and I don't have much of a figure in mind other than sub-£1000, although obviously if it's cheaper and would still deliver that would be great too.

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Monitor is a Dell S2716DG - which has been fine for me (both gaming and work) but is the one thing I have actually upgraded recently (needed a bigger screen to fit more spreadsheet on...)

Looks like a good selection though, and good to know that AM5 is good for a couple of generations too.

Associate
OP
Thanks all - to confirm that I wouldn’t expect this to be running cutting edge stuff at all, initially things like vanilla Minecraft at the top end (although I suppose with enough mods Minecraft can be demanding too), and it’s not a requirement for the initial purchase to be able to run things at top spec.

The initial purchase just needs to have a solid base and a motherboard that will last a decent level of time - so I think the suggestions in this thread more than meet this need, I’ll review later today and see about pricing things up.

Wasn’t aware about not needing a Windows license, which clearly shows how long it’s been since I’ve done this!

Associate
OP
Unless you're planning to upgrade the monitor I would suggest that you stick with a Nvidia GPU (purely for VRR).
As the monitor is basically something that I have moved on from, I don't see upgrading it as a priority - I think mid-level gaming is perhaps the aim for this system, along with the ability to be upgraded in the coming years (so with a motherboard and socket that doesn't rapidly fall out out use).

But I'll keep the preference for Nvidia in mind!

Back
Top Bottom