First gaming rig advice

Associate
Hello everybody

First time posting, been a console gamers for a long time and looking to take the pc plunge. Ive decided to try and build my own, the stickies look like a lot of help! Could do with some spec advice, as im pretty much learning from scratch, my budget is around £1000. Looking to run it on my 32inch lg, with room to upgrade later, any advice would be great! Also im from Jersey so dont pay vat.

Thanx

Soldato
If you could wait until the end of April to buy I would suggest it. The next gen Intel release is probably going to make the Sandybridge processors drop down in price a bit.

Soldato
Wait for the intel ivybridge CPUs, we should see them by the end of this month. Doesn't hurt to discuss your options though. Wutang has done a nice lil build there. Although if you are running it through a HDTV maybe you'd like a bluray player in there too?

You will notice that OCuk do weekly as well as daily offers so the exact parts we suggest in builds can vary from week to week. Personally i think you should consider exactly what you want from the machine and get familiar with the building process with videos on youtube.

Once Ivybridge is out and you know what you want we can spec you at that time taking the offers into account. Obviously if you have any questions or problems come build day feel free to ask us :)

Soldato
sounds like a plan, il wait for ivy and keep an eye on the offers.

Cheers for the help people.

No worries bud. Although ivybridge isn't going to be a massive leap in CPU performance it will have a much better integrated graphic processor (IGP).

Now for gaming you will use the dedicated GPU obviously but there is something called quicksync which allows software to use that "dormant" IGP to "turbo boost" encoding of movies. It makes a big difference on sandybridge so ivybridge should see even better results.

Oh I should also mention that many mobos state they have a PCI-Express 3 slot for your GPU but you need an Ivybridge CPU to make use of it ;)

Soldato
Sigh waiting for new tech :( so want to make my new rig already D: Oh btw for the graphics card thing just look for what your getting cash wise. The EVGA would do fine nothing really exceeds 2GB of VRAM anyway.

Soldato
The ivy bridge shouldn't change the cost of them much tbh as the processors are rumoured to be about the same cost wise as the SB but if your looking to save some cash you could just snag a SB processor once IB is released since they should drop in price :)

Soldato
It will make them cheaper as the chips are rumoured to be costing the same as SB chips... if SB doesn't drop in price then it would be stupid tbh.

Well I was under the impression Intel tend to just phase out the older chips rather than reduce the price - of course there are bound to be some cheap to clear stocks!

Soldato
But SB has been their ultimate success and as pretty much everyone knows Intel would be foolish to just dump it when they could be making money off it consistently compared to just phasing it out. Especially since the z77 motherboards are LGA1155 compared to a new socket set.

Back
Top Bottom