First HTPC Build

Associate
The idea for this PC is that it will be used as an HTPC with some gaming on the side (Steam and emulators). My main PC has a GTX 460 which I will be looking to upgrade at some point in the not too distant future and I will then at that stage transfer the GTX 460 into this build (assuming it will fit).

Due to space constraints, the PC has to sit next to or behind the TV and therefore the case needs to be thin (and vertically standing).

I want to make this PC as quite as I can (without spending huge sums of money). Would it be a good idea to replace the stock CPU cooler and/or the case fans? Should I replace the PSU that's included in the case?

I don't necessarily have a budget per se, but would prefer to keep it under £600 if I can.

Listed below is what I've come up with so far. I may add a second HDD for storage if there's space or I could simply use one of the external HDDs I have knocking around for now.

I've never configured/built my own PC before, so any suggestions and advice will be gratefully received.

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i5-4670 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail £157.99
1 x EVGA Hadron Air Mini-ITX Case - including 500W Gold Power Supply - Black £149.99
1 x Samsung 120GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Desktop Kit - (MZ-7TE120KW) £79.99
1 x Asus H81I-Plus Intel H81 (Socket 1150) DDR3 Mini ITX Motherboard £58.99
1 x TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TED38GM1600HC11DC01) £55.99
Total : £512.56 (includes shipping : £8.00).

Associate
The Hadron comes with a 500W gold rated PSU which is 50W over what is reccomended on Nvidia's site for a GTX 460. The PSU comes with 2 6+2 connectors already and would be difficult to replace considering its not ordinary shape.

There are many reasonable heatsinks that will outperform the stock cooler. Apparently the Hadron will support coolers of up to 140mm which gives you some more options than say the ML07. I haven't looked at anything beyond tiny because of my case so I cant recommend anything at the moment.

Associate
If it were me I'd probably save a bit of cash drop the CPU down to an i3. That will be more than enough for HTPC duties and you aren't going to be rocking the world with a 460 anyway. Plus a lower TDP should mean less noise (you might not even need an aftermarket cooler).

Soldato
If you are doing a HTPC, why not get a HTPC style case or a Element Q? Besides just the 1 xpance slot so just 1 card, sorry anyway would look sweet. Ya, my GPU is dual slot, so that awesome case won't work even if I get a mITX. :(

Back
Top Bottom