First light gaming PC for step son

Soldato
He's asked for a gaming PC, we have monitor and some perhipieals already in place. To fund this will be from us and his dad (and possibly family) to be combined from Christmas money.
For games, hes not interested at triple AAA titles but wants to play some casual gaming like the typical Fortnight, Minecraft and other light generial popular indie games like Fall-guys. Or whatever he watches on youtube.

I am planning to upgrade my rig in the coming months (8th Gen intel i5 and etc) but also we want not spend a small fortune on something he wont be using it. You know kids have an interest one moment and then not touch things for several weeks / months. He's just interested in his ipad right now.

Not sure on spec yet but wondered if im getting rid of my computer should I keep the DDR4 memory or get something newer and modern with the money we are looking to spend (£400 - £500) possibly?

What CPUs / motherboards still support DDR4? I also plan to reuse a 500GB or 1TB NVME so that would save a bit of money.

Your thoughts?

Sorry for not being clear - I will be upgrading my own rig but that would come in the next few months but for his computer, I will be buying it in November and he will be opening his Christmas presents and we will be building it together.

So when I upgrade my rig, I was wondering if I can reuse some of them perticularly the RAM and the NVME. The rest I will be selling off to get some funds back to pay for my own rig.

I wasn't looking to reuse my whole old PC. Its an 8th gen i5 with an 1080 in it with 32GB ram.
Hoping to do some 'bonding' and building his first PC together. Building a PC is not something I think he cares about :cry: but having that opportunitiy of getting new components, building it together with him over Christmas will be nice (as he's only 14)

The idea of opening birthday presents all freshly wrapped and unpacking is something quite important.

I understand peoples responses and having a logic hat on with repurposing my old kit but building some memories is quite priceless I think.

Back
Top Bottom