First motorbike gear check

Soldato
Hi all,

I've got my CBT booked in a week or so, and will likely then get a cheap used Yamaha YBR 125 to run for a period of time. Although I'm tempted to go straight for my DAS.

Naturally I've started looking for some gear to wear. I'm not made of money, so looking at getting good value entry level stuff. I've specced up the following, which all seem quite reasonably priced but get good reviews.

Any thoughts at all? I'm a complete newbie at this so open to thoughts from more experience bikers.

VyXPwQ4.png

Thanks

Also, I know I have a massive head
I went into a shop and tried on a Large Shark helmet and it was way too small. I have to wear hats/helmets at work and they are sized 61-62 as well.

Last edited:
Associate
You might want to price up a matching pair of pants/jacket, as they're often designed to zip together to keep rain/wind out. I personally wouldn't wear mix n'match top/bottom in this weather :)

Soldato
Looks good to me - only input I'd have is maybe go for full length boots, as you likely get better protection form them; and I'd have concerns about water getting under your trousers with half boots like those - at least with full length boots, you can put hte trouser leg over the top of them.

Associate
As already mentioned, I would say try to get jacket and trousers from the same manufacturer so that they will zip together, and my preference would be full length boots as well

Helmet is a very personal choice, but make sure you try it on before you buy as you need to make sure it fits correctly

Soldato
OP
Yeah that shopping cart is sportsbikeshop, no idea why it has the MCN logo there, maybe they own them.

I've decided to hold off on ordering anything yet though, until I've done my CBT. Went to a local bike shop today and I couldn't believe how varied the sizing was between jackets, so I'm definitely going to pick something in store and then maybe order online if the price is better.

Man of Honour
Yeah that shopping cart is sportsbikeshop, no idea why it has the MCN logo there, maybe they own them.

I've decided to hold off on ordering anything yet though, until I've done my CBT. Went to a local bike shop today and I couldn't believe how varied the sizing was between jackets, so I'm definitely going to pick something in store and then maybe order online if the price is better.
The joys of SBS is you can order the whole shop and then send what you don't need back for free no questions asked within 365 days. I've literally had a couple of grands worth of boots sat in my house for months at one point as I've got such weird shaped feet and nothing fits, all returned without issues.

Soldato
OP
So I completed my CBT and enjoyed it so much that I pretty much instantly want a bike. So I ended up ordering my gear, made a few changes.

Went for Richa Street Storm waterproof boots, same price and similar style but had better reviews. I also opted for jeans instead of textile trousers, Bull-it Tactical Stone Slim Covec jeans - might regret this, but my thinking is if I need to ride in the rain, that I'll get some throwover waterproofs. For now, I will probably avoid the rain. The jeans are so lightweight, really comfy, and look great. It says they are water resistant for light rain, but doubt they'd be great in persistent rain.

The gloves are lovely but unfortunately I have short fingers, so whilst they fit well for the most part, there was a good 1-2cm spare in every finger. I always have this problem with gloves. So I'll send them back and go to a shop to try others on before buying.

The helmet and RST jacket are spot on and fit great

Now I just need a bike!

Last edited:
Soldato
See how you get on with the kit you have ordered. I would also advocate full length boots.

I have both full on leather/synthetic mix trousers but also lined and armoured jeans from Hood Motorcycle Jeans. Hood are UK based and their jeans with d3o armor inserts are spot on. They are smallish and really very helpful when ordering and getting sizing sorted. They were, and might still be, the only manufacturer of FULLY lined jeans.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
See how you get on with the kit you have ordered. I would also advocate full length boots.

I have both full on leather/synthetic mix trousers but also lined and armoured jeans from Hood Motorcycle Jeans. Hood are UK based and their jeans with d3o armor inserts are spot on. They are smallish and really very helpful when ordering and getting sizing sorted. They were, and might still be, the only manufacturer of FULLY lined jeans.
Love my hood jeans, been wearing in the various styles since I got my full license 8 years ago.

They crash well :D

Associate
Also, I know I have a massive head
I went into a shop and tried on a Large Shark helmet and it was way too small. I have to wear hats/helmets at work and they are sized 61-62 as well.
my head is bigger than your head :D! i'm an XXL in helmet sizes. weird thing is i was an XL when i bought a helmet in 2010. then bought another in 2022 and XL was too small so helmets have got smaller or my head has got bigger :confused: anyway, good to see you as a new biker taking gear seriously, hope you have or are buying decent security for your bike too.

Associate
Love my hood jeans, been wearing in the various styles since I got my full license 8 years ago.

They crash well :D

That's good to hear. I got some Hood jeans last year after reading too much and getting worried my Rokker things weren't all that. Pleasingly the Hoods are a lot cheaper, but also I am much happier in them, and as Sin says, the armour is great.

Also yes: full length boots. Ankles and wrists are complicated bits of kit to put back together, as I understand it :p.

On an armour note, don't assume armour is armour. Or amore is amore. There are different kinds, and bad and good. Of course, this curiosity can get expensive! :)

Back
Top Bottom