First-Time Builder's Gaming and Coding PC Build

Associate
Here's my first PC build for gaming and coding. I've done the research, but I need to know if everything checks out. Specs below:
Build Components:
************ Part List: https://uk.************.com/list/L7F9kJ
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£191.50 @ Amazon UK)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£35.00 @ Computer Orbit)

Motherboard: MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (£149.00 @ Computer Orbit)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory (£104.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£60.99 @ ******)

Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 319 Core Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card (£456.46 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ **********)

Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£99.00 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £1156.93
Additional Information:
Purpose: Gaming and coding. Need smooth performance for modern games and efficient multitasking for development work.
Budget: £1156.93
Concerns: Are there potential bottlenecks or compatibility issues? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks.

Could you wait a bit longer or do you need the upgrade now? New AMD processors are due out at the end of this month

Could you wait a bit longer or do you need the upgrade now? New AMD processors are due out at the end of this month
oh im not upgrading im building my first ever pc and im just sorta trying to research phase so i know what to do or what not to do you know

Concerns: Are there potential bottlenecks or compatibility issues?
I'd get a TLC drive instead of a QLC drive, especially for a boot drive.

Any advice or suggestions?
If the 7600 non-X is cheaper I'd get that instead, it will also includes a spare cooler which the 7600X does not.

I assume none of your development work requires or prefers nvidia for any reason? (e.g. driver support, CUDA)

By the way, you can put prices up..actually helps us tell if good price or not, but this forum is run by OCuk. You can't put up competitor names. Best just edit those out or post might get taken down.

Last edited:
The msi gaming plus wifi is a weak mobo. I's skip it. if going really budget, the gigabyte eagle ax is cheaper and better, otherwise the asus b650 gaming plus wifi is £160 on here(...was yesterday...back up to £190 today but can readily be had for £169.99 elsewhere) and has far better vrm's...so the gigabyte gaming x ax for £150 is a better board also you can get here
As above, new cpu's are out end of month and worth waiting for reviews..if budget is a constraint then the 7600 non x is £172(again not here where it's jumped to £189??..it's slightly slower but not by much...same the £20 and put it towards a better mobo. Enable PBO(precision boost overdrive) in bios and you're near same performance...basically a toggle in bios when you get to that stage in build
As you aren't getting a x3d cpu which isn't so dependent on timing, see if you can get 6000 C 30 ram...seen kingston fury beast(non rgb)32gb, 2x16 6000c30 for £97 at mo...wont make much of a differnece but tighter timing do increase frames in certain games...but if you want rgb, the the £104 is a good price. the teamgroup delta 6000c30 rgb can be had for £110...£120 if you wantt corsair
Make sure when buying the gpu from that site, it's actually being fulfilled from that site, not by a 3rd party..seen yt tonight in US, where same XFX cards are being fulfilled by different company, and cards are way cheaper than normal, and what you get isn't whats advertised. OCuk do have the hellhound for £469 here...just checked where you put and is sold and fulfilled by them, but import from US..I'd pay extra and get it from OCuk...you'll have better support if something goes wrong
Games are getting larger. I'd consider getting a 2tb drive..you'll fill up 1tb fairly rapidly

Some of the stuff you can get at OCuk, so a choice of ram ranging from you vengeance rgb 6000c36 up to gskill 6000C30 rgb
put the gaming x ax board in..the tuf board look elsewhere..same for the 7600
but a 7800xt in also and a 4070 nvidia...nvidia less vram and every so slightly slower but has dlss and frame gen and better ray tracing, though whether that's useable on a 4070 i'm not sure..light use I'd say
arctic cooler can cool a 300tdp cpu, so wont have any trouble with a 65W 7600, or a 7600x for that matter..just an alternative, but got peerless assassin here too
rm750x shift is corsair top tier, with 10 year warranty...the rme 1 level down with 7yrs warranty..the shift has cables out the side...just slternative again..£99 for the rm850e is a good price you have

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,864.88 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Some of the stuff you can get at OCuk, so a choice of ram ranging from you vengeance rgb 6000c36 up to gskill 6000C30 rgb
put the gaming x ax board in..the tuf board look elsewhere..same for the 7600
but a 7800xt in also and a 4070 nvidia...nvidia less vram and every so slightly slower but has dlss and frame gen and better ray tracing, though whether that's useable on a 4070 i'm not sure..light use I'd say
arctic cooler can cool a 300tdp cpu, so wont have any trouble with a 65W 7600, or a 7600x for that matter..just an alternative, but got peerless assassin here too
rm750x shift is corsair top tier, with 10 year warranty...the rme 1 level down with 7yrs warranty..the shift has cables out the side...just slternative again..£99 for the rm850e is a good price you have

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,864.88 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

like no shade i got ZERO clue what any of this means thanks u tho

What sort of gaming and what sort of coding?
I'm primarily a .net engineer and most of the stuff I do could run on pretty lightweight kit. My work laptop is way over specced in most regards.
No point in a graphics card for what I do at work.
Ram is handy but like 32gb usually plenty even running SQL server locally. I put it in docker with a bunch of services, redis, Kafka etc.
Gaming requires much more in terms of graphics but some of the games I play are not terribly demanding. You could use a pretty cheap pc or a conveniently sized nuc.
It matters what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom