First time PC build help (£3000 budget)

Associate
Were not allowed to put links to other websites as per Forum rules, but I would encourage you to shop around and make sure you are getting the best prices.

Associate
That's good to know, thanks.

This might be a silly question but I would like to buy some PSU cables to compliment the theme of my build. Do I need a specific PSU cable extension to go along with the PSU or are they all compatible?

Getting the z390 aorus master tomorrow as recommended :)

Aorus Master is a fantastic board. Very easy to get get 5.0ghz overclock with the i9 9900k (I only have experience with this CPU). Couple changes in the bios and you’re away.

Associate
OP
Extension cables fit any psu as they just plug into the end of the existing cables. The downside is more overall cable length when you are doing cable management. Also if your case doesn't have a psu shroud then they don't look as nice as you can still see the existing cables coming out of the psu. The Fractal R6 has a psu shroud though if you are going with that case.

The other more expensive option is to buy replacement braided cables which plug straight into the psu. With this you need the correct set as they are not cross compatible usually i.e Corsair cable set won't fit a Seasonic psu etc.

Okay I think I understand if I'm getting the Antec PSU I need Antec cables. I'm more concerned with how complicated it will be fitting everything together.

Associate
OP
Were not allowed to put links to other websites as per Forum rules, but I would encourage you to shop around and make sure you are getting the best prices.

Definitely, I managed to save some money o the motherboard with some gift cards ;)

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Soldato

Not a great gpu for a £2.3K spend. The op can easily get a 2080 ti and G-Sync monitor for £3K.

Even for £2.3K you can do better.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,252.03 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Associate
OP

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have any major preference for AMD or Intel but I've bought the z390 motherboard. Might get that Samsung 970 Evo m.2 SSD if it's compatible.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I was going for a pure AMD build.

But yes I do agree it can be improved on if you wanted a Nvidia gpu with G-sync

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have any major preference for AMD or Intel but I've bought the z390 motherboard. Might get that Samsung 970 Evo m.2 SSD if it's compatible.

Np! With the intel build, I suggest the 9900k and OC'ing to 5ghz for the top performance.
NVME ssd is a must, at least for boot, and if you want you can get a big enough storage space to store some games ont here for extra quick boot times. Otherwise let your storage drive be a big sata ssd for optimal speed/capacity. Something like a 2tb SSD

Associate
OP
Np! With the intel build, I suggest the 9900k and OC'ing to 5ghz for the top performance.
NVME ssd is a must, at least for boot, and if you want you can get a big enough storage space to store some games ont here for extra quick boot times. Otherwise let your storage drive be a big sata ssd for optimal speed/capacity. Something like a 2tb SSD

Will do that and I'm getting Toshiba 3T HDD( recommended by orbitalwalsh).

@lee32uk, I like that monitor. Currently stuck deciding on 4k or 1440p lol

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Will do that and I'm getting Toshiba 3T HDD( recommended by orbitalwalsh).

@lee32uk, I like that monitor. Currently stuck deciding on 4k or 1440p lol

Why a HDD when you're well in budget for a SSD of similar size?

I'd recommend you go with the SSD as everything will feel faster, but its upto you

Soldato

I'd recommend you go with the SSD as everything will feel faster, but its upto you

You don't need an SSD for everything though. As long as you have a big enough SSD for Windows + Games etc then a HDD is fine just for mass storage. Also that much SSD space would cost around £400 and you can't buy a 3TB SSD anyway. A 2TB SSD is going to set you back £290. The Toshiba 3TB HDD is £65. That is a huge difference.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

You don't need an SSD for everything though. As long as you have a big enough SSD for Windows + Games etc then a HDD is fine just for mass storage. Also that much SSD space would cost around £400 and you can't buy a 3TB SSD anyway. A 2TB SSD is going to set you back £290. The Toshiba 3TB HDD is £65. That is a huge difference.

Depends on how much space you actually need. You can definitely fit enough games and such on a 500gb nvme. And for mass storage you can go with a 500gb sata ssd which you can get fairly cheap. But if you need more space and want to save money then you can just go for a regular cheaper HDD.

But his initial budget was 3k, and he has a lot of that budget leftover in which he can just use a sata ssd instead of a HDD

Associate
OP

Depending on the monitor I get along side windows 10 and Microsoft office I'm pretty much over budget.

As the other poster said I need HDD for mass storage and I want to use the ssd to put all my apps and some games on that will open fast.

Associate
With that kind of budget an rtx 2080 or ti should be attainable, also a 9 series intel. You could get a nice aio as well but something that powerful wouldn't need to be over clocked for a long time, so could just add in later

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Depending on the monitor I get along side windows 10 and Microsoft office I'm pretty much over budget.

As the other poster said I need HDD for mass storage and I want to use the ssd to put all my apps and some games on that will open fast.

yes but the point im making is that instead of a 1TB HDD you can get a 1TB Sata SSD instead if you can afford it. For the bootup you can use a NvME SSD thats ~500gb

Associate
Yeah really a 1tb for bootup and games, then a massive regular hdd for mass storage.
1tb ssd = 110 quid
3tb hdd = 60 quid

You can always just use a 500gb ssd, and just put open world type games on there. Most other games don't really take long to load anyway.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Yeah really a 1tb for bootup and games, then a massive regular hdd for mass storage.
1tb ssd = 110 quid
3tb hdd = 60 quid

You can always just use a 500gb ssd, and just put open world type games on there. Most other games don't really take long to load anyway.

True, but if you want to transfer files between drives, it'll be a lot faster with a ssd instead of a hdd. Especially between a nvme and a regular ssd

Back
Top Bottom