First Time Dashcam User

Soldato
Having recently bought a Škoda Octavia my parents have offered to buy me a Dashcam for it, not a satnav. I’ve bought a Nextbase 522gw which is being fitted on Monday.
Are there any tips or do’s and don’ts for a first time user?

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH Google maps or Waze just beat all the others for free. Just tell it where you want to go and follow it, it will try to avoid traffic.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dashcam is a set and forget thing, assuming it's fitted properly, it will switch on and off with the ignition and record constantly in 3-5 minute clips while powered on. Get a decent microsd card for it, the endurance cards are best suited for dashcams.

Soldato
Check the sensitivity levels.
Check parking mode is on.
Make sure you have a large microsd card in it.
Add your car reg to it, and adjust display settings.

I've got the 512gw.

And if your dab signal gets bad, it's probably the dashcam interfering.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Check the sensitivity levels.
Check parking mode is on.
Make sure you have a large microsd card in it.
Add your car reg to it, and adjust display settings.

I've got the 512gw.

And if your dab signal gets bad, it's probably the dashcam interfering.
I was told 32gb was sufficient for an sd card

Soldato
32GB is plenty. But 128GB cards are cheap. It doesn't hurt to have the extra storage, it should also last longer due to not being overwritten so often. I've had a couple of times where I've wanted to check some footage from a week or two ago also, which the extra capacity meant the video was still there.

Soldato
Are there any tips or do’s and don’ts for a first time user?

Buy two of the largest size SD card it will take. Make sure you buy the High Endurance model, not just high speed. You buy two to make sure you have a spare SD card so you can replace the SD card after an incident, thereby preserving evidence from being accidentally overwritten.

I’ve bought a Nextbase 522gw which is being fitted on Monday.

Oh dear. You really want a triple camera dashcam. Front camera, rear camera, and cabin camera. The cabin camera is to prevent false claims that you were using a mobile phone or not wearing your seatbelt or similar.

Soldato
OP
Buy two of the largest size SD card it will take. Make sure you buy the High Endurance model, not just high speed. You buy two to make sure you have a spare SD card so you can replace the SD card after an incident, thereby preserving evidence from being accidentally overwritten.

Oh dear. You really want a triple camera dashcam. Front camera, rear camera, and cabin camera. The cabin camera is to prevent false claims that you were using a mobile phone or not wearing your seatbelt or similar.
Bearing in mind this purchase is a gift I didn’t want to push my luck. I did order the front and rear combo though.

Associate
Remember it's there and recording any time you might be tempted to drive like a pillock.

(hopefully this advice is unnecessary)

Man of Honour
Some older/cheaper dashcams won't accept anything larger than older standard 32GB cards - the older Kingston SD cards usually have as high endurance as the newer "high endurance" cards just a bit slower - but still more than fast enough for dashcam use.

Just make sure it is wired in to go off with the ignition (on some vehicles the connection might still be live for 90-180 seconds after switching off) so it isn't sitting there draining battery all the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Next base dashcam has issues with recording on anything other than Nextbase micro SD cards.

I had a 32gb nextbase card in it and it was fine. I upgraded to a 64gb Samsung card of the correct type and speed and recording playback was jittery.

Replaced it with a 64gb nextbase card and video playback was fine.

The Samsung card is fine in my other devices.

Back
Top Bottom