First timer watercooling (AIO) noise question

Associate
Hi all. Slightly embarrassing to ask this in this forum compared to the setups you lot all seem to have. However, I got my first water-cooling system yesterday, an Aerocool Mirage L240.

Fitted fine, and temps are (obviously) way better than with an air cooler. I'll be honest: I don't care about the CPU temp that much, it's more about getting excess heat out of the case quietly so that the GPUs don't have to spin up fans so much. From that point it works great.

However, I thought water cooling was supposed to be quiet. The pump initially made a really loud rattle/grinding sound, so I googled and laid the PC on its side, ran it at full power and this helped greatly. I now have the tower stood up as it should be and very little noise. But if I turn the pump down from 100% (e.g. to 50%/60%) the rattling sound starts to return. It's not hugely loud but is the loudest part of the system, audible above two GPUs and the other 6 fans. Does it just need more time to bed in or is there a problem with it?

Thanks,
Chris

Associate
Is your water block / pump at the lowest point in your case? (Your radiator should be above the pumps not below or equal height)

It sounds like your pump is not getting enough water, it will burn out very quickly as well as making sounds.

Associate
Possibly faulty unit.
I would recommend Arctic Freezer II. Dead quiet and efficient. Mine at 60%, and no need to go any faster. Can't hear the pump, just the air moving from the fans.

Back
Top Bottom