First tripod?

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I've got a Canon EOS-M that's been in a draw for an eternity, it's time to bring it back!

Wanting to do some photography and basic panning videos of projects around the house, so thinking a tripod would be a valuable asset to have at my disposal.

Happy to look at second hand units that potentially provide some add-on/modification facilities, but really don't want to be spending over £50 which seems a bit tight.

I'm completely new to them, so go easy, I'm a dope :D

The basic rule of buying a tripod is that you can pick any two of light, sturdy and cheap.
I can't help with specific models as I value the first two more than the third. Try asking in the Wanted section of the MM and see what you're offered.

My ex bought me some cheapo one and I never understood it, it was just so odd :p (even a guy who ran a photography course I took thought it was strange).

Ended buying the Benro TSL08CN00 as my first 5 years ago, a carbon fibre one for not much over £100. Generally happy with it though I did seem to break one of the legs on a recent holiday (came out and I can't get it back in/it still do the telescopic thing) but still works at a shortened height.

Last edited:
Tripod is one of those things that if you buy right, you never have to buy again.

It is 100% true that you pick 2 out of 3 (Price, Weight, Sturdiness). If you spend more money, it can often offset the sturdiness somewhat. So my advice is place more weight on the price criteria, spend more, get the best one you can afford.

I still have my Manfrotto 055Pro (alu) with a basic pan and tilt head. Whilst it is heavy, it is also practically indestructible and what I take for jobs in the car. It can take the abuse, VERY sturdy, not worth that much used.

Last edited:
Tripod is one of those things that if you buy right, you never have to buy again.

It is 100% true that you pick 2 out of 3 (Price, Weight, Sturdiness). If you spend more money, it can often offset the sturdiness somewhat. So my advice is place more weight on the price criteria, spend more, get the best one you can afford.
I can second that.
The moment you start loading a cheap tripod up with heavier gear you will see where you had limit yourself, not to add the fear of having the expensive kit drop on the floor and get badly damaged.

I am still running around with my Gitzo GT1541T I bough 14 years ago. It travelled a lot with me when hand luggage wasn't as tight on weight/size, so now its just the practicality of having sturdy, light tripod I can lug around when hiking etc.

Work out what you need first - take into account the weight you need to load onto tripod, where you want to take it and how and finally what you will use it for. Maybe pan/tilt is not useful and you need pano and ball head?

I didn't want to write what Raymond wrote - Given your small budget, but I will throw my hat in and agree.

I bought a Gitzo 2nd hand head for circa £70 and a 2nd hand Manfrotto Tripod base for £70. The head from Wex and the base from MPB if memory serves me right ( or maybe both from Wex).

A £50 tripod may be just fine for setting up a camera for a group shot, but its not likely to be worth much aside from that. - That's fine if that is what you want it for - I have a c£40 tripod that my mrs used for paid (static) videography work (for a 2nd camera) - so they're certainly not useless, but you do get what you pay for - and 2nd hand equipment can be very good value for money.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to quantify many of the features/quality/stability of build you get in the higher end tripods + heads. - But having now used a Gitzo head, I can certainly appreciate why they cost what they cost new - and if my salary depended on it, I would be using their gear.

Manfrotto are good but you wont get a whole kit for sub £50 I dont think

Just save some more to get a decent brand that last for years

Maybe something like this?

37Vl68h.png

I agree with Raymond like everyone else is lol. I bought a used gitzo 4-5 years ago and now it feels the same as it did when I got it and likely will for many years to come. Before it, I bought a cheaper brand and it was not anywhere near as stable or solid feeling. It's definitely a purchase where quality matters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom