First Upgrade in 4 years.

Associate
Treating myself to a new build mainly going to be split 50/50 between 4k gaming and work (just office365, teams etc. nothing too heavy). Most of the hardware I had was adequate and done the job fine and only really needed gpu upgrade (was running a GTX1080) but decided I wanted to tinker with a new build so hence the full upgrade.

Brief list of what I had all in a custom loop:
i9 7900x
Rampage 6 extreme
32gb 3200mhz
2tb nvme
MSI GTX1080 seahawk
AX760i

Only item I may retain is the PSU as it seems to be fine and wanted a Seasonic PX 1300W to future proof headroom for upgrades, but may wait to see if the ATX12v thing is out soon or upgrade if current PSU doesn't hack it.

This is what I want to go for some bits have already been bought and will be marked as so (will be under a custom loop), not trying to flex but like tinkering with new gear and know the build will be overkill but I work had so want to have some fun. What I would like input on is if you suggest something that may pair better with my list, items with know issues or if its a balanced setup? Display will be a LG 35" 35WN65C for work and a LG 55CX oled for games.

*already bought.
**reusing.

i9 12900K
Asus z690 maximus extreme
32gb 5600mhz corsair dominator*
3x 1TB Seagate FireCuda 530 1x 1TB SN850 1x 2TB SN850
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti MASTER*
Cosair AX760i**
Lian Li o11 EVO*

Thanks for any input.

EDIT: I run two rigs and will be upgrading the AMD rig when AM5 is out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only thing glaring to me is why 3x 1TB NVMEs? Seems a poor use of your NVME slots (and it'll cost more £ probably) when you could get 2x 2TB drives. I'd personally go for WD SN850 2TB (£250).

PSU probably be ok, but dependent on age and how heavy load it's had - I'd have preferred something new and a little beefier to run a 3080 Ti, allow it some headroom. Could be absolutely fine, I mean I run my FTW3 3080 (undervolted) with a 750w PSU and it's golden.

Associate
OP
Only thing glaring to me is why 3x 1TB NVMEs? Seems a poor use of your NVME slots (and it'll cost more £ probably) when you could get 2x 2TB drives. I'd personally go for WD SN850 2TB (£250).

PSU probably be ok, but dependent on age and how heavy load it's had - I'd have preferred something new and a little beefier to run a 3080 Ti, allow it some headroom. Could be absolutely fine, I mean I run my FTW3 3080 (undervolted) with a 750w PSU and it's golden.

Reason for 3 was I wanted one for OS, one for games and the other for my work, also as going to be under hardline loop dont want to be removing the PCIe cover to put the m.2's in later. Maybe one 500gb for os and 2x 2tb for games and work? Do the WD's have better reliability or performance as couldn't get a good indication for reviews, they just seem to be biased to one brand or another.

Soldato
I’ve found WD generally reviewed better - less failures, more reliable, good warranty service etc. Also sometimes slightly cheaper.

Why do you want different and smaller drives? I know people including me liked to do that years ago, but it’s not worth it these days with SSD technology.

If that’s what you want to just partition off a larger drive to suit mage. I’d go for 2x 2TB. Then just partition as you like 500GB for OS then 3.5TB for games/work! ;) Then leaves your 3rd slot free later down the line if needed.

I still partition my drives in a similar way, keeps Windows tidy and my game storage, media drives, etc.

Man of Honour
I know it is just for fun, but you could save a lot of money there, cost to performance wise:
- the 12700K performs practically the same in games
- the motherboard is mega overkill
- DDR5 doesn't really offer much
- there's no need to have three firecudas, I'd get at least one cheaper 2TB model

Associate
DDR5 is slowly heading there, but that's going to take time. For a platform refresh, I'd keep DDR4 for the time being and switch to DDR5 later on. The benefit of 12900K on top of 12700K could be minimal, and on the other hand if you really want to slot out, then there's 12900KS. Otherwise perhaps I'd wait for 13th gen. I'm not sure, but AMD seems to be going cheaper, so maybe that's something to consider — or 5800X3D for gaming, with a mobo that would allow it to be overclocked (external clock generator and maybe some other tweaks). As for GPU, I'm not sure now is a good time, what with all the upcoming releases this year, conveniently coinciding with CPU releases. Even if you end up buying the same components, they might be cheaper in a half a year than they are now. Wouldn't overspend on the mobo, unless you're really sure you need the features. For performance gains, it's better to invest that money in the CPU, GPU or RAM.

Myself, I might be upgrading soon, but if I were upgrading right now, that would be 11900K or 5900X for a cheaper mobo and keeping my DDR4/3000/15 — just a moderate platform upgrade while my old stuff still has some resale value.

Associate
OP
I know it is just for fun, but you could save a lot of money there, cost to performance wise:
- the 12700K performs practically the same in games
- the motherboard is mega overkill
- DDR5 doesn't really offer much
- there's no need to have three firecudas, I'd get at least one cheaper 2TB model

I 100% get where your coming from, but I do keep my build for a fair few years.

I know its the old analogy no one needs a Ferrari to get from A to B and this build is only out 10% need and 90% want I have no issues driving my 2016 Smart fortwo, but still have a 2020 RS5 sportback (excuse was if we wanted to carry someone else besides my wife and I.. no one has been in the back seats and no Ikea shopping done aswell :p) that I cant even use any of the power.

Associate
OP
...Even if you end up buying the same components, they might be cheaper in a half a year than they are now. Wouldn't overspend on the mobo, unless you're really sure you need the features. For performance gains, it's better to invest that money in the CPU, GPU or RAM.

Myself, I might be upgrading soon, but if I were upgrading right now, that would be 11900K or 5900X for a cheaper mobo and keeping my DDR4/3000/15 — just a moderate platform upgrade while my old stuff still has some resale value.

I waited back in late 2020 but everything went crazy prices even ones that I would not pay, even old hardware crept up in price I just don't want that to happen again.

I'll mull over the weekend and see if I still want these bits... the motherboard is so shiny and colourful tho lol.

Associate
I waited back in late 2020 but everything went crazy prices even ones that I would not pay, even old hardware crept up in price I just don't want that to happen again.

I can relate, especially on the GPU front. I made a bunch of unnecessary purchases, going from 6600/z170 through 8350K to 9600KF and picking up an expensive z390 Aorus Pro, as well as two lesser z370/390 mobos. But I'm sure your 7900 isn't a slouch even in 2022. I kinda regret I didn't just buy 7700K and OC it through the roof.

Associate
OP
I can relate, especially on the GPU front. I made a bunch of unnecessary purchases, going from 6600/z170 through 8350K to 9600KF and picking up an expensive z390 Aorus Pro, as well as two lesser z370/390 mobos. But I'm sure your 7900 isn't a slouch even in 2022. I kinda regret I didn't just buy 7700K and OC it through the roof.

Most of the Intel build including the 7900x is now sold as of last week and yes it was running and doing what I wanted with no issues and in a sensible world I could just live with threadripper (this is used to do video editing) as my main build and just chuck in 3080 ti but both these build are hard to keep cool even under a custom loop when over clocking.

...while window shopping on the web I've also just ordered the case. I'm really not good at waiting much.

Associate
I 100% get where your coming from, but I do keep my build for a fair few years.

I know its the old analogy no one needs a Ferrari to get from A to B and this build is only out 10% need and 90% want I have no issues driving my 2016 Smart fortwo, but still have a 2020 RS5 sportback (excuse was if we wanted to carry someone else besides my wife and I.. no one has been in the back seats and no Ikea shopping done aswell :p) that I cant even use any of the power.
Fair enough. I agree with Tetras but it's up to you.

If you want an opinion on high end motherboards, watch this. Buildzoid is a performance focussed god. I would probably get the Gigabyte Z690 Auros Tachyon or ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX if you wanted a high end board that will overclock well and doesn't cost more than you need.

Edit: here's the Tachyon review

here's the Apex review

Associate
OP
I've noticed not many builds with the z690 extreme is mainly the opinion that it cost too much? In the past if you looked on YouTube for a flagship board there would be loads of reviews and builds but very little on this motherboard. Overall I've noticed the high end boards have nearly doubled in price same with gpus, I just like the look of this board. Prior to my last build I was using the formula boards and may have gone for one now but they only make it in white :(.

I've decided to use only 2 nvme's for now as suggested and look at bigger drives.

Associate
I've noticed not many builds with the z690 extreme is mainly the opinion that it cost too much? In the past if you looked on YouTube for a flagship board there would be loads of reviews and builds but very little on this motherboard. Overall I've noticed the high end boards have nearly doubled in price same with gpus, I just like the look of this board. Prior to my last build I was using the formula boards and may have gone for one now but they only make it in white :(.

I've decided to use only 2 nvme's for now as suggested and look at bigger drives.
It is too expensive. You can get 90% of the performance of the extreme at 50% of the cost with other models.

Man of Honour
It is too expensive. You can get 90% of the performance of the extreme at 50% of the cost with other models.

It is an outrageous price for a motherboard!

In the past, their prices weren't too bad, still a lot, but more reasonable compared to other high-end motherboards. Now, they're just a luxury so that might be why there's less interest in reviews and other content.

Associate
OP
It is an outrageous price for a motherboard!

In the past, their prices weren't too bad, still a lot, but more reasonable compared to other high-end motherboards. Now, they're just a luxury so that might be why there's less interest in reviews and other content.

For £949 I guess you could build a whole system and the apex is only £200 cheaper. I only really decided to do the build because I saw the motherboard, all the watercooling bits are coming to another £1000 so thought might aswell go all out.

Associate
For £949 I guess you could build a whole system and the apex is only £200 cheaper. I only really decided to do the build because I saw the motherboard, all the watercooling bits are coming to another £1000 so thought might aswell go all out.
I hear you but you don’t need to spend £1000 on a motherboard to get anywhere near the performance.

I get that you want a great system but make it a balanced one.

A lot of motherboard manufacturers put stupid features on an expensive motherboard to make it seem like it’s worth the money.

Man of Honour

I have to admit, it is pretty, but the MSI MPG Edge has a similar colour scheme / design and an RGB dragon, while being 1/4 of the price, so that gets my vote for bling, which may or may not have anything to do with your purchase :D

Associate
OP
Here’s Buildzoid talking about how stupid the Exteme is

Hour 1 min 13 of the video.

Yeah saw his video before when trying to find info on the extreme and he really doesn't like the trend of expensive motherboards but I think that's what motherboard manufactures are going to continue to do. Fortunately the cost of the board wasn't really an issue atm as if I don't get this board I'll end up spending the money on some other flight of fancy... I haven't been gaming on PC for a few years now and been on consoles but would really love to get back into PC gaming, that's what has spurred on this to build a new rig. Its annoying how the brands spread simple features out on boards to build wider price bands.

I have the o11 evo coming tomorrow so will see if even a eatx board will fit with my layout in mind may end up going different route due to that.

I do appreciate your opinions and atleast know now most probably won't even make a quarter of the money back if I try to sell the motherboard a few years on, as I did ok with the X299 Rampage 6 extreme.

Was really thinking there would have been a X299 replacement by now to upgrade to but I think the days of HEDT are gone with such high core counts on desktop parts.

Back
Top Bottom