First upgrade in years!

Associate
EDIT 22nd Feb 2019:
See post 58 (Sorry I don't how to put link down to post)

I have been doing some research over the past few days and have come up with the below spec.
I think it maybe slightly over the top so please correct where needed.
I wanted it to be future proof but I don't think there is such a thing, just maybe a life span of 2-3 years running max settings.

Usage:
Oculus Rift (Purchased last week)
I like a variety of games, mostly single player but some multiplayer. Racing, FPS and pretty much anything else at times.
I really wanted 4K but after reading here today it looks like 144 is the better option for a while till monitors improve.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,868.52
(includes shipping: £15.90)

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Associate
OP
Ok I spent all last night reading up and I think I have it pretty much sorted now.
The monitor posted above does seem like the best option at present.
I changed the CPU to the 1600X because from what I have read, it is more than enough for just gaming (will it be ok for 4K gaming when a decent monitor comes along?) & VR but please correct me if I am wrong.
EVGA G3 PSU added back in and I am not completely convinced the M.2 drive makes a massive difference over a standard SSD, but I might as well give it a go.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,570.09
(includes shipping: £15.30)

Associate
OP
Thanks 8 Pack, I just clicked order on previous basket just before you posted. Is it possible to amend my order to your suggested memory?

Associate
OP
Build is finished and all working (Pics to follow later). Seems to be running good so far, I would appreciate and tips on bios & windows settings etc. to get the machine running to its full potential, Also should I update the bios if there is an option too?

Associate
OP
Everything went in without modifying, but the top front drive bay can't be used so I mounted the front vr panel in the lower front bay. The only pain was the removable lid because I clipped it in fully and realised it needs setting up by one clip and the rad was then in the way. All sorted now though. Win 10 is up to to date and will check bios update when get home

Associate
OP
Best pics I can grab, impossible to show at night because of the glass reflections. I think i need to grab some orange cabling next :)

Associate
OP
Orbital, I will look at the rear fan option, I set it up as recommended as per the cooler manual for now and as for the top vent, I will see how it goes.
Temps seem ok for now but will keep an eye on it. Just working on CPU overlclock so temp on that has just risen about 20 degrees.

Edit: Ooh just looked at the Phanteks Halos, I like a lot.
I was also going to add something like this at some point. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitf...evg-sf-series-black-and-orange-cm-318-bx.html

Associate
OP
That's the thing, I want the colour scheme without looking like a disco or over the top. Will check bios for the pump speed in a minute.

Associate
OP
The pump appears to be at 100% but bios isn't that clear in the options, unless I am being thick.

Also I woke up this morning to the monitor having small amounts of grey and green artifacts. I haven't had much chance to look into it but when I switched the monitor to HDMI for Xbox they seem to be there still and when switched PC to my TV on other HDMI they were gone so I am presuming a faulty monitor. Will run some more checks later to be sure.

Associate
OP
I will check the AIO pump stuff in a while but as far as the monitor goes, I just changed the DP cable out for a HDMI and the artifacts have gone. Just ordered a new DP cable from the rainforest for tomorrow as I don't have a spare.
I do find it hard to believe that a cable can fail in two days of usage, is it possible for the display ports to play up on the graphic card and not the HDMI or do they all play up at once if there is a problem?

Associate
OP
Yeah maybe, I also ordered a 5 port USB card with an internal USB 3.0 internal 20 pin connector, so I ordered a 20 pin-two usb adaptor which allows me to plug the front usb internally.
My only worry is ruining the look inside the case as the card and adaptor is not the best looking things.

Its a shame you can't get a shroud of some kind for them.

Back
Top Bottom