Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
Well I've just made up a little discrete travel fishing kit to grab a cheeky couple of hours fishing on a little trip starting tomorrow:

Shrigley Hall hotel in Cheshire. There's a lake next to the house which was apparently dug to provide building material for the house, it looks very mature and I expect there's a few fish in it. Weather is supposed to be OKish tomorrow afternoon, so once we've driven up from Bristol and checked in, I'll have a few spare hours to kill while the Mrs does some spa pampering stuff. I'm taking the bare minimum of kit (we're in a 2 seat convertible) so will just fish a bit of floating bread using my travel rod if there's some surface action.

Aberystwyth. Next day we'll be heading to Aberystwyth and the afternoon, again, is supposed to be OKish, so after we've checked in we'll take a wander around to shore and see if there's anywhere to chuck a lure or some feathers from.

Soldato
Didn't have any luck on the lake, I had the whole lake to myself too. A few large carp were cruising around just below the surface but didn't go for my floating bread. Oh well, it was enjoyable anyway and took literally 5 mins to set up, and after an hour's fishing it took 5 mins to pack away. Fingers crossed for no rain later in Aberystwyth.

Soldato
Didn't catch anything at Aberystwyth either! Manage to fish an hour in a rising tide this afternoon, just throwing out a lure and then some feathers, before the rainy weather closed in.

Nice to wet a line though.

Associate
I went coarse fishing at Poole Bridge Farm, Crockey Hill, York (aka 'Fletchers'), fished Horseshoe - on Saturday.
Had a decent day, plenty of action - various species.
Carp were slow to start, but had a few in the afternoon - biggest I landed will have been around 10lb.
Hooked into a monster at the end of the session, played it for around 10 minutes, before it went like an express train into the willow tree next to me (snap).
Looked to be around 20lb....too much for my light line.

Quite strange to find hungry bream (nothing big, all between 1-2lb) feeding on the top, they were beating the carp to the bait lol

Man of Honour
It'd be a great evening to be out surface fishing for Carp today,
watching the latest series of Monster Carp has given me an itch for it, anyone else watching this latest series?
it's all from lakes in France catching whoppers over 70lb :o

Last edited:
Soldato
After running on sea wall near here (Blackwater - Essex) and seeing fish (likely Sea Bass) jumping and considering only a few miles from house I thought I'd get myself a Spinning outfit (haven't fished in about 6 years). Nothing on float or jelly the first attempt but re went last night for an hour (on ebbing tide so not ideal) and within 10 mins of switching to a floating rattling plug I caught a just under 1lb bass I was well pleased.

Hammered the plug the water had dropped enough I thought no chance so was really surprised

The tiny creeks fascinate me like river fishing this one was only about 7-8 foot across

Looking forward to retrying on a rising tide in a few days

Associate
How annoying - lost 2 double figure pike today cheap ebay braid snapped me off Goin straight in the bin now 50lb bs my ****:mad:

But... made up for it with a nice barbel
ot8lKG8.jpg
Just over 12lb :D

Associate
I've been out a few times this year, most notable trip was carping at Farlows lake in Iver - PB 33lb common :D. I also caught a bream on the same trip that was definitely a PB (>10lb for sure), but it was 2am and catching them on carp gear isn't exactly fair so didn't weigh it.

Had a good time on the Norfolk broads last week, my dad and I caught about 20 pike between us to low double figures fishing a few hours a day. The silver fishing was strangely difficult this year though, normally it's a fish a chuck on the river Bure. Possibly due to the otters that we spotted opposite where we were staying.

@user_name Yep that's why although it saves some money I never buy cheap end tackle, it's just not worth it.

Associate
very nice barbel there! what a catch. Forget about the pike, defo made up by the barbel.
Been on the hunt all year for one at this spot, it's pretty much fished 24/7 +it's had the Carl and Alex treatment so been havin to get over there at 5am some weekends :mad::confused:well worth it in the end :D
As for the braid that's been binned now , it was old and and guess musta been worn out from the guides, this cheap stuff does hold its weight just has no abrasion resistance like a quality braid unfortunately :/

Back
Top Bottom