Fitting blinds into steel lintel

Associate
Hi all,

I need to fit a blind above a window which has a steel lintel. I understand that I can use self tappers to screw directly into the lintel, without rawl plugs, but what I don't know is what size drill bit i'll need and which size screws to go with this.

Can anybody recommend the correct hss drill size and matching screw size?

Cheers

Associate
You can get self drilling screws that do what it says on the tin. They have a slight drill bit on the end, and that drill a hole, then they self tap their way it.

I have used loads on my conservatory build to fix stuff to the steel work, but they came with it, so no idea where you get them from. Maybe try the big auction site.

Associate
I use a number 6 self tapping screw from b and q, 1.5 inches long to make sure it's really secure. They come in a pack of 25 if i remember rightly.

I used a 3.5mm has bosch steel drillbit from b and q too. They both did the job nicely.

Only thing I can advise, is don't use the drill to drive home the screws, a head will snap off, just use a manual screwdriver.

Soldato
Are you sure it's a steel, a lot of people assume a reinforced concrete lintel is steel because it sounds like it when you drill it.

If it's steelwork just drill into it with a small HSS bit and use self tappers.

If it's reinforced concrete then get an SDS and some colourful language.

Associate
OP
It's definitely steel, this has been confirmed by the house builder.

So going from the posts above would a no.6 screw and 3.5mm hss drill bit be the right conbination?

Are the screws I linked to above suitable?

Back
Top Bottom