Flashback to Fan Shrouds

Associate
BITD when I was young, fan shrouds were a thing, sometimes to put a 92mm fan on a 60mm sized cooler to get a quieter CPU cooler, sometimes to direct airflow

Apart from Dell/HP I'm not seeing much use. I saw a YT video recently where the guy designed and 3D printed fan shrouds to direct airflow.

Does ANY OCUKer take their airflow seriously? I was wondering if it was worth directing airflow (or restricting it to forcing it past my HDDs) is worth the effort to keep HDDs cool or other components.

Associate
Depend on the fan used. Some fans will create a conical airflow, like the P12 for example. No need for shroud, if the intention was to centralise and direct the airflow to the centre of the fam or to where it is pointed to. Some other fans won’t do it, then a shroud should help.
With good mesh panel equipped cases and decent fans at every price point, is much easier to get enough airflow without much effort. Must people will simply brute force the best performance, and with reverse fans, even of looks are priority, one can keep optimum performance and the desired looks.
The only scenario that I would consider a shroud would be where the fans (intake) are too close to the mesh/panels and, depending on the fan, few mm would completely change fan noise and resonance. Bottom fans on Tottent, H9 Flow, etc. se
Fans aren’t to affected, but some are.

Associate
OP
Yeah I know everyone bruteforces... just wondering if there was a way to ensure all airflow in Define R6 goes thru HDDs and not around...

And yeah how did you know I have 3 P12s in front of my HDDs :cry:

Associate
:cry:
Lucky guess, I think.
Silent focused cases and some older cases still requiring careful planing.
With the Enthoo Primo, a second fan after the HDDs would do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom