• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Flashing 6800GT AGP bios

Associate
I got my XFX 6800GT 256MB AGP more than a year ago, and recently its been doing this 'sparkling' nonsense. I think ive tried nearly everything to fix it! under clocking (the card), re-re-re-reinstalling drivers, updating mobo chipset drivers, adjusting voltages, increasing & decreasing processor speed, placing ram in different sockets, turning fast write off,buying a new 450W power supply (all rails are giving out correct voltage)..and other random things. the funny thing is that the sparkling stuff starts as soon as my computer starts up (and tells you about clock speeds etc) then it disappears for a bit, then comes up again when the windows XP logo is displayed and stays. In normal mode, the screen will go blank (9 times out of 10 anyway) and nothing happens - im forced to restart. But in safe mode, it manages to boot the OS fully and i can get in.. there's the sparkling No swearing everywhere though.. seems to get worse when i scroll windows (green misty stuff appears then) I dont think its anything todo with temperature as the sparkling starts as soon as i switch on the pc (apart from at the ms-dos parts..different display modes?) Anyway, i wouldve RMA'd by now only i dont have the box OR the reciept so i doubt i'd get anywhere.. plus the first 6800GT i had, i RMA'd coz it was pulling the same plop :S i suspect they mightve sent me the same one back however.. So, i was thinking maybe if i flash the bios, it might fix things? i downloaded nvflash and when i went to use it to save my current bios (nvflash --save backup.rom) it went and said somthing about 'PCI device not detected' words to that effect anyway.. does this mean that AGP versions cannot be flashed? its really depressing! especially seeing how the card cost a bomb lol i got it in another country last year so there's not a whole lot i can do about a refund now.. plus ive had it for ages anyway..

Are you meant to be able to flash the AGP version of 6800GT? coz i tried doing it using nvflash.. well i tried saving a backup of the bios already on it and it spat an error message like 'PCI BIOS not present' followed by 'this program can only be run under dos'. When i tried doing this i was running in safemode. any help would be greatly appriciated! cheers

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well i dont think there's anything else for it.. tried everything i can think of! So is it possible to flash an AGP card or not?

Uninstalled some Nvidia drivers today and now the system is able to start up in normal mode without the screen going blank and system restarting BUT the sparkles are still everywhere :S

Soldato
Flashing the BIOS won't help with that...

It's b0rked, either RMA it if possible or you've got an expensive paper weight.

Associate
OP
Are you able to RMA if you dont have the box, reciept and the place you bought it was in another country on the other side of the world? :confused:

Soldato
As for the receipt, you need proof of purchase, so do you have a confirmation email, bank statement or something to prove when you bought it?

Also, as it wasn't bought in the UK they may have different consumer law regarding warranties/length of, so you've got to check it's still in warranty.

Best bet would be find some sort of proof of purchase and contact Leadtek direct.

The box shouldn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom