Flight Sim 2004 hardware

Soldato
I'm sure one of you FS enthusiasts can advise me on this. I run FS2004 with quite a few addon aircraft and extra scenery but it's getting to the stage where it's taking a few seconds to load some of the more complex scenery and aircraft textures from the hard drive. I was thinking about upping my memory to 3gb, have 2gb at the moment and possibly investing in a new drive so I could install only FS onto it. What would be the best drive to get? My PC runs silently so I'm not keen on getting anything too noisy, what are the WD raptors like? Also, is it really worth my upping the amount of memory I have or is there some way (short of shutting down services which I don't need, which I've already done) of assigning more memory to the game so it doesn't stutter when loading up textures? Thanks.

Soldato
check your peak commit charge in the task manager after you've run the game for a while, that will tell you if you need more memory (chances are its not even using the 2gb you already have) And yeah, getting a raptor would make things better.

Soldato
OP
Lanz said:
check your peak commit charge in the task manager after you've run the game for a while, that will tell you if you need more memory (chances are its not even using the 2gb you already have) And yeah, getting a raptor would make things better.

Never thought of trying that. Turns out the application is only using around 500mb, new HDD it is. Are the raptors overly noisy?

Soldato
Cuchulain said:
Never thought of trying that. Turns out the application is only using around 500mb, new HDD it is. Are the raptors overly noisy?

I dont think FS2004 will run smoothly whatever specs you have. I got into this Sim a few years back and gave up and put it down to poor programming on MS side.

Soldato
OP
Lanz said:
What graphics card do you have?

The Raptors arent really quiet, but they arent noisy niether.

At the moment an X800 XT PE, planning on getting an X1800 (512mb) next month. Framerate isn't really a problem though, it's the loading times.

Back
Top Bottom