1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding@Home bigadv for Windows

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by Biffa, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Biffa

Man of Honour

At last! :cool: :D

I've switched over one of my i7's @3.9Ghz to see how it goes.
    Current memory usage with -smp 7 is just under a a gig. TPF (well it hasn't finished 1% yet)

To switch to bigadv, I just shut down the service, ran configonly and turned off -advmethods and put -bigadv into the additional client parameters (you can do the same sort of thing with startup switches if thats what you prefer)

[​IMG]

After reading the thread, I've switched to -smp with 8 cores as this machine only has one GTX470 in it, so I'll see how it goes like that. with -smp 7 I was getting >1hr TPF's

But then this machine was the one that was rubbish at bigadv in a vmware session.

Project 2684 On Windows Natively With A3 Core + Mini-Guide

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. miniyazz

Soldato

I may give this a try in a bit :D

I'm fairly confused by their recommended minimum CPU speeds though. There doesn't seem to be any consistency. If an i7 920 can do it at 3.8GHz -smp 8, why does an i7 980X need 3.78GHz -smp 12, yet an i7 930 can do with 3.52GHz -smp 8?

Edit: How're your frame times on -smp 8?

Edit2: Hmmm, it doesn't seem able to connect to the Work Server. Using client 6.29. Looks like I may be switching back to A3 :mad:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. Biffa

Man of Honour

Ugh.. i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz .. -smp 8 TPF: 01:21:24 :(

PPD is 1,584.18 :eek:

4. miniyazz

Soldato

That's nearly as bad as standard client :p

I find -smp 7 gives me better PPD on A3 units; guess it's the same on bigadv!

5. Biffa

Man of Honour

Apparently not, the client doesn't like primes.

6. Happy

Soldato

May give the rig a burn in with this :cool:

OT:- Biffa, I have sorted my rig now, thanks for the testing! :)

7. Biffa

Man of Honour

Good one mate rma approved on my board

8. Biffa

Man of Honour

Just noticed that my cpu was dropping to 12 multi every 2 minutes or so for 30 seconds. Might account for the poor output I've had with this system. :(

Bit of bios tweaking and we are back at full speed, lets see if the TPF starts to drop down to what other people are getting.

9. Biffa

Man of Honour

48mins tpf and dropping :D

10. Happy

Soldato

It won't run on my system :( I can't run the install.bat Just says can't find the specified file. Trying to run in on XP 64bit.

11. Senture

Wise Guy

Doing good here on the good old dual X5450. Put the sucker up to 3.2 thanks to setfsb and I'm seeing a TPF of 43:31. The half GB per core is really ott for A3 bigadv units. All 8 cores going with -smp 8 given and 100% cpu time dedicated to the A3 core file, only 1.4GB is used by the A3 process.

Happy, not sure if you're still stuck but you did navigate inside the command prompt to the folder where the client is installed right?

12. Happy

Soldato

Yeah :( But I've just put Win7 64 back on my PC and am finishing installing then I'll give it another stab.

13. Biffa

Man of Honour

install.bat only runs the following commands:

@echo off
    smpd -install
    mpiexec -register
    mpiexec -np 2 foo
    pause

the programs smpd and mpiexec should be in your folding folder for it to work.

14. Speed

Sgarrista

Biffa is the -forceasm flag worth using? I noticed you use it, does it help with PPD or stablity?

15. Biffa

Man of Honour

Different machines I have seem to be more or less stable with or without it, YMMV so test it out and see.

A couple of updates to this post. If you install the newest client (6.30) from here then its worth noting that it doesn't need the mpiexec stuff any more which uses much less resources and is much more stable and portable.

What I did was:
    Stop folding
    Start folding with the -oneunit flag and let it finish the unit you are working on.
    Then stop folding again
    Install the new version (copy into fah folder)
    Then do a reverse of whats in the install.bat, so cd to the folding folder and typed:

mpiexec -unregister
    (this removes the mpiexec service)

smpd -uninstall
    (this removes the account login from the registry)

Then delete mpich*.* from the folder
    Then delete install.bat from the folder
    For good measure I deleted the work folder as well (all units were finished and sent)

Much cleaner and neater :) Seems very stable as well.