Food - £60-100 a month. Enough to eat well?

beh

beh

Associate
I tell me daughter (who is in Uni) to always stock up on cheap noodles and packet soups
As someone claiming to be a chef, perhaps you could show her how to make soups from scratch?
Tescos is a good place to shop late at night. All the hot food at the deli is hugely reduced so worth a look. Also pick up 2 for 1 offers where possible
Tescos?! Much better off going to a market at the end of the day for all the cheap fruit and veg to be had.
It used to be the case that cooking fresh would save you money.
How is that not still the case?

Associate
As someone claiming to be a chef, perhaps you could show her how to make soups from scratch?

Tescos?! Much better off going to a market at the end of the day for all the cheap fruit and veg to be had.

How is that not still the case?

I'm divorced and don't live with my daughter but thanks for the parental advice.

The OP is more likely to visit their local Tesco on a regular basis but it was used merely as an example. Any market or supermarket will work.

As someone who is hoping to eat for a month on £60 - £100 they are going to find it difficult to include large amounts of fresh fruit and veg. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...g-reach-low-income-families-warns-report.html

Soldato
My girlfriend and I cook 99% of our meals from scratch — our weekly shopping bill (not just food, but everything) averages out at about £50 (including wine).

We buy a lot of Tesco Value/Asda smart price goods and apart from one or two things, there really isn't any point in buying the branded stuff.

We also get a really varied, balanced diet. My average day would consist of the following:

Breakfast

50g of Tesco Value Oats
1 Tesco Value Banana (Chopped)
1 pot of Tesco yoghurt

Lunch

Always a salad with a variety of ingredients:

Asda smart price Feta or Mozzarella
A couple of olives (Tesco discount brand)
1 tomato
Some sliced cucumber
Some sliced Tesco value pepper
Asda smart price pesto (red or green)
Splash of balsamic vinegar
splash of olive oil
salt and pepper

Apple or orange for desert.

Dinner

We have a good selection of evening meals that we rotate but the cheapest meals that go a long way are bolognese or chilli because we get the big packs of Tesco Value mince and make 5-6 portions, freezing what we don't eat.

Tomato soup can be made quickly and easily:
Slice 1 Tesco value red onion and fry in a pan
Add 1 Tin of Tesco value chopped tomatoes
chuck in salt/pepper/dash of wine to taste
Add a couple of spoonfuls of Tesco value soft cheese
If you want a smooth soup, blend it before serving.

Another thing we do quite often is make a roast on a sunday and then use any meat we don't eat throughout the rest of the week. A whole roast chicken can make three evening meals as well as providing plenty of meat to go into the salads above.

Changing to value/smart price produce was probably the best thing we ever did.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the food and you get a lot more for less.

Rice, pasta, potatoes, tinned veg, fresh veg — you can't really go wrong. If they don't do a Value version of the product, they usually do a 'discount brand' version which is much cheaper than the named-brand product.

We've had a lot of fun trying Value versions of things we used to insist had to be named-brand. Nutella, Marmite, honey, crisps etc.

Something else we noticed is, quite often the Value stuff tastes better than the standard Tesco branded equivalent.

The only named-brand item we can't ween ourselves off is Diet Coke!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, only 3 meals a day, I have around 5 meals when possible. Soon adds up.

I find 'value' meat to be pretty lacking in meat and taste.

Soldato
£100/month seems on the low side - me and my partner spend roughly £60 a week on food, cooking all meals from scratch. Fruit & veg comes mainly from the market, meat and bread from Waitrose and most other stuff from Sainsbury's or Morrisons (depending on which shop we're going closer to that weekend). I suppose if you ate lots of basic stuff and instant noodles you could do it; I'd rather spend a little more and get good quality food and not be eating packet noodles every other day myself :p

Some value stuff is fine and some isn't - the trick is finding which ones you're OK with. Sainsbury's basics peppers for example (£1.35 I think for 4/5) are good and generally better quality than the market ones. Waitrose basics stuff is generally on a par with the better versions of other supermarket stuff :p

HeX

HeX

Soldato
2 adults and 2 kids and we easily spend £100 a week on food, and it's not like we pig out or have mountains of snacks and stuff.

Food prices have gone up about 25% though, couple of years back we'd spend on average about £80 for a weekly shop, we buy roughly the same stuff now and it's £100. Mad really.

beh

beh

Associate
I'm divorced and don't live with my daughter but thanks for the parental advice.
Apologies then, just seemed unusual advice coming from a chef to be recommending things like packet soups.
The OP is more likely to visit their local Tesco on a regular basis but it was used merely as an example. Any market or supermarket will work.
Again, as above. If we're talking about produce then a market or grocer is nearly always a better bet.
As someone who is hoping to eat for a month on £60 - £100 they are going to find it difficult to include large amounts of fresh fruit and veg. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...g-reach-low-income-families-warns-report.html
That's a very misleading headline, on form for the DM.

The cost of pineapples increasing 33.6%? A good example of cherry picking, it's hardly a staple.

The article actually concludes quite sensibly...
DM said:
'There’s an increasing feeling among certain segments of the population that they are being priced out.'
Shoppers’ perceptions of fruit and veg prices were also skewed by seasonal changes in price, added Nigel Jenney at the Fresh Produce Consortium.
Few realised it was “normal” for produce prices to fluctuate throughout the year due to availability.
'Some shoppers may perceive this as confusing, especially if they are used to buying processed food products, which tend to be more consistent in price,'
It's largely an issue of perception/ignorance. Prices have gone up a few percent, which is to be expected, but it hardly puts things out of reach.
He added that the average family spent just £4 on fresh produce a week.
And that's the heart of it, people have different priorities these days, they're spending a lower proportion of their income on food than they ever have. Saying fresh fruit and veg is too expensive is just a very lazy excuse.

Soldato
My weekly bill today was £9.11 and included fruit (bananas and apples). Yeah, ok I do a "big shop" ever 4-5 weeks whereby that weeks bill is around £25-30 which is when I buy the main part of my evening meal (chicken, pork, beef) which I then split and freeze.

I would suggest (for a single person) that £20/week would be a minimum you could spend to cover breakfast, lunch and dinner and have it relatively balanced. I spent that for the month of November (£80) and a little more for the month of October (£100) which was a 5 week month (payday to payday).

I will leave it up to you to see if it is balanced:

Brekkie - Porridge with milk and sliced banana
Lunch - 4 x sandwiches with cheese/ham/salad leaves/salad cream + an apple
Dinner - Meat (pork, chicken, beef) with boiled potatoes and some frozen veg

I drink water with all meals which I get from the tap via a Brita filter jug or water machine at work

Do I eat like a king? Not at all but it is nice enough and includes fruit and veg daily.

Edit: I meant to add - I don't have any snacks or sweets/biscuits in the house. Sometimes I can be sat there and I feel like a bit of chocolate or a biscuit so it can be a pain at times but the OP never asked if it was good, just if it was possible :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Value mince is disgusting and high in fat. You are better off getting cheaper cuts of meat and slow cooking them.

I agree, it's high in fat but it's far from disgusting.

It tastes no different to 'regular brand' mince once you've drained the fat off.

Considering how much cheaper it is, I think it's a small inconvenience to put up with.

Back
Top Bottom