• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

For a gaming build i5 8600k vs i7 8700k?

Soldato
Still on sandy 2500k at 4.5ghz but feel the need for a change in my bones.

Plan is to go to 3440x1440 when funds permit.
GPU will be a 1080Ti for this task.

I have read and watched a lot of Coffeelake i5 vs i7 comparisons. In some games like crisis 3 (which I completed and am done with) there is a big margin in favour of the i7. Bit better perf in witcher 3 (won't play it) and in other games no difference really.

I can afford either but like bang for buck and what is appropriate to task.

If it matters I like headline mad overclocking frequencies too:DThe i5 is getting slightly higher clocks on average than the i7 with less power useage and better thermals.

I do not need any compute power for editing etc just for GAMING

Cooling is with a 360 rad and heatkiller 3.0 block. I am open to de-lidding.

So do I save £100 with the 8600k that pays for a waterblock on the 1080Ti or what you guys think overall?

From what I have read a clocked 8600k will let a 1080Ti do its thing without bottlenecking.

A degree of future proofing be nice though realise in this game there's no such thing ofc.

Ta

Depends what 'best' is though. I stand by my decision to go i5 in 2011 but enough time has gone by where things are different.

You may be right, it may be worth it the i7 this time round.

It depends on advances made and if I cannot categorically run modern titles at close to max settings. GPU's typically last me two years. CPU's harder to say with Sandybridge skewing everything somewhat hehe.

Three years minimum be nice out of the CPU/mobo/ram side of things. I dont adopt onto every new platform. I'm a sensible enthusiast if that is such a creature...

I stick with Intel rightly or wrongly it's what I know and am comfortable with.

Yes as per opening post plan is to go 3440*1440 with a 1080TI

woah guys like I said I can afford an i7 but if there is no benefit to gaming then it there is not much point. It's about the smart choice/bang for buck.

If you've never had a GPU under water you'd probably not understand. I had 470's in sli watercooled silently running 40% core overclocks rock solid, it's really a beautiful thing. If I can get a 1080ti at 2ghz i'd love that and the more so if it's not limited in any way by an i5.

This thread has been of some use however, there are arguments for someone like me who doesn't adopt every new platform to consider the i7, if I can get one to 5ghz i'll be happy. No way am I going pre-binned though.

I've never spent so much on a CPU before, usually I get a £160-170 mobo and smililarly priced CPU! Things have changed...

Back
Top Bottom