For anyone who does .NET development: New version of Visual Studio, the Community edition, now avail

Soldato
http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs

It's equivalent to Visual Studio Pro in terms of features from what I can see.
Rather than using the Express edition, which didn't support plugins and needed different versions to do desktop and web, this version seems much better for hobbyists, open source projects etc.

Oh, and Microsoft has open sourced .NET as well!
More details on Scott Hanselman's blog: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Annou...NETOnMacAndLinuxAndVisualStudioCommunity.aspx

Last edited:
Soldato
Hhmm good news whats the catch!

I use vs 2013 at home is there an advantage to getting this?

Not much of a catch, unless you use the online features of MSDN, where MS make back their money, via MSDN subs.

Also, its in their interests if to penetrate the apps development market and saturate it with .NET, that they go open source, and offer a free to use fully functioning IDE. VS is quite expensive, if your a lone bedroom coder, unless you sign up to an MS program.

Its great that your going to get a basic full function Pro version of Visual Studio for free, able to use extensions and NuGet.

Associate
Ooh, going to try this out for JavaScript(Node.js) and Cordova.

Edit: Absolutely hate the fact that even if you install it on another drive, it still requires 10gb free on C: ...

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Edit: Absolutely hate the fact that even if you install it on another drive, it still requires 10gb free on C: ...

This is the main reason I install Visual Studio in a virtual machine through VMWare Workstation 10. It just leaves so much crap all over your system that I prefer to keep it off my main OS.

Associate
I'm just happy I won't have to download different Express editions for different purposes :p

This edition of Visual Studio is available at no cost for non-enterprise application development.

Wonder how they define enterprise in this context? Either way it's great news if programming is your hobby.

Not getting too excited about cross platform yet, will be interesting to see how all that could pan out but at the moment I'm skeptical.

Soldato
I'm just happy I won't have to download different Express editions for different purposes :p

Wonder how they define enterprise in this context? Either way it's great news if programming is your hobby.

Not getting too excited about cross platform yet, will be interesting to see how all that could pan out but at the moment I'm skeptical.

Where did you find that quote? I'd like to read up on it to see what the restrictions are.

If that is true for the released version of Visual Studio it will be awesome! :)

Soldato

From their Q & A

Q: Who can use Visual Studio Community?
A: Here’s how individual developers can use Visual Studio Community:
•Any individual developer can use Visual Studio Community to create their own free or paid apps.

Here’s how Visual Studio Community can be used in organizations:
•An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.
•For all other usage scenarios: In non-enterprise organizations, up to 5 users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or > $1MM in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.

Associate
This is interesting. What about someone like me. Who does dev work on 2013 at home for some work projects but when at work has to use 2010 pro, and my organization is large. I just don't work in an IT environment.

For instance I may build my main code at work, but design my gui at home.

Associate
This is interesting. What about someone like me. Who does dev work on 2013 at home for some work projects but when at work has to use 2010 pro, and my organization is large. I just don't work in an IT environment.

For instance I may build my main code at work, but design my gui at home.

Then that's for work which seems like it would count as a large organisation. Why don't you remote into your machine at work to do that stuff?

I see this as being aimed at open source, hobbyists and small businesses.

Associate
Then that's for work which seems like it would count as a large organisation. Why don't you remote into your machine at work to do that stuff?

I see this as being aimed at open source, hobbyists and small businesses.

It's pretty much what they said it was aimed for.

They are removing a barrier of entry to the best .NET IDE there is. It's a great move in my opinion.

Associate
Bah they do this now when a few months ago I remember having to mess with the express edition a ton to get certain nuget extensions to work on a test cloud server. But this is great news and will save me headaches between using pro/express versions.

Back
Top Bottom