• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

For those who dislike nvidia, why do you keep buying nvidia and not amd?

Caporegime
Lets keep all the nvidia vs amd BS out so no baiting/trolling at all and keep purely to the thread title question.

Context:

Genuinely find this fascinating lately, the amount of threads that just end up with nvidia bashing is crazy now i.e. "rt/rtx is ****", "dlss is fake/crap", "frame generation is ****/fake", "planned obsolescence", "low vram", "nvidia ripping you off", this is all I see in threads recently especially around vram......

So question is....

Why do people keep buying nvidia and not amd? AMD provide:

- slightly cheaper gpus
- larger vram pool than the nvidia competing gpus
- match/beat nvidia competing gpus in raster

Yet, the people who keep complaining about nvidia practices/products don't show their support by buying AMD?

Last edited:
Many people are used to buying NVIDIA, they've bought them for many years and trust them to produce a good product. NVIDIA lead the way and AMD clumsily follow.
My reaction when I think about buying is that a 4080 is about £1200 and a 7900xtx is about £1000. At those sorts of levels of cost I'm just not going to take a chance on a brand I haven't tried in many, many years.
And most gamers, when they think of a 4080, they don't think of the 7900xtx, rather they try to work out how they can afford a 4090.
I think that AMD had the opportunity to clean up with this generation but they dropped the ball. They didn't have any competition for the 4090 so they really needed to trash the 4080. But they went and pitched their price slightly under the 4080, and it just wasn't enough to lure NVIDIA buyers away from their favourite brand. Neither the 4080 or the 7900xtx are good value for money.
Had AMD launched it at £800, I would have bought one. As it stands, I would buy a 4080.
Back in the day I had 7900GT which I had to RMA, they sent me an 8800GT which I had to RMA, they sent me an 9800GT which died and I couldn't RMA it.

After that bad experience I tried the ATI 5870, but the drivers were shocking, my friends had GTX 460 which worked flawlessly and my 5870 drivers crashed in almost every game.

Then I got a 780 which was OK but loud and not enough vram, so had to upgrade to a 1080 which has been the only card I've actually been happy with.

So I don't like nvidia for all the obvious reasons, but I've tried AMD before and it was worse.

Looking back, GPUs have been among the worst products I've ever bought, pretty much regardless of brand or model.

Generally I hate feeling ripped off and believe in voting with my wallet. Maybe it is time to try AMD again as it has been a while. (maybe Intel?)

I would have also said the same but the people I refer to also swear that amd drivers are just as good, if not better than nvidia now so that can't be why they keep buying nvidia either :p

Personally I never had any real problem with amd over several years of different architectures. Do prefer the amd UI/CP but at the same time, I'm never in the driver control panels past initial setup.

VR performance and DLSS + FSR.

VR performance is a valid point although it's still rather niche isn't it and I think amd have improved here quite a bit (know RDNA 3 had big problems on launch but think they've been fixed too)? Given the amount of hate we see on here for upscaling/dlss especially having to "pay for it", this shouldn't be a factor as to why those people keep buying nvidia either.

One thing which does come to mind is nvidia streaming/recording, I think this is an area where amd fall short massively (personally I don't care for this but can see why it would be make or break for a few gamers)

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
I don't think TLOU is a proper "technical" sponsorships tbf, like the way FC 6, godfall, callisto protocol were 100% amd technical sponsorships. Uncharted, TLOU are purely just partnerships to sell more copies of a game, nothing more, also, if they were 100% under amd, dlss etc. would have been removed from TLOU and uncharted ;) Also, on their "featured page", they have nvidia sponsored/neutral games so wouldn't pay much attention to that page of theirs, it simply lists games which is using their tech.

Good insight in here so far, essentially seems that it is amd who need to do better and restore peoples faith in them rather than it being a nvidia problem then?

Last edited:
For this type of question the ideal respondies would be from the members who have a handful of posts and are only active when team green are launching a new product.

If we're being honest with ourselves we know why, for the causals mentioned above its brand name/recognition, for the diehard enthusiasts they just want the fastest hardware available and Nvidia are the only ones who offer a no compromise solution. Smart buyers are few and far between unfortunately.

It doesn't help all the leading tech YouTubers all use the same brands when building Halo PC's - Intel, Asus and Nvidia the unholy Triumvirate of PC tech firms.

Yeah I am kind of hoping we will get responses from them.

I think a large part of it is simply because whether we like it or not, nvidia is the better "overall" product (and by that I mean the whole package) thus they can command a premium and get away with questionable tactics and those ones who constantly complain about nvidia simply just want their products for cheaper as they don't see amd as being a viable option especially when amd are charging in the same tier, we have had a few say this but that was a long time ago and I don't think those members are around or rather as active these days. But then again as per the point in OP, according to those people, amd is just as good as nvidia or better in said areas so why keep going for nvidia when amd according to them are "technically" viable/on par........ that is the confusing part :confused:

That is actually not always true. Nvidia in recent years has had the card with the largest VRAM, be it a Titan or a 90 class . It's this gen so far AMD and Nvidia has 24GB on their current top cards on the market, we have to wait and see what a 4090ti will have and if AMD refreshes these current cards with 24GB with more VRAM too.

But I do know what you mean by AMD normally giving more VRAM on cards as they normally do on the mid/lower end cards, but top end cards normally Nvidia has them, but we are talking Titans here normally and now the 90 class..

Last time I remember nvidia being in the lead with vram was the 980ti vs fury x. But yeah I'm not really referring to titan level gpus as they are/were the halo products.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with you. Someone higher up at AMD needs to have a meeting with Nvidia and Intel to fix the issues with FSR. FSR is open source and all 3 GPU venders need to support and improve it to make it better and the number 1 upscaling technology.

Yes DLSS is better at the moment but it's closed source, so only one company can use it which is an absolute shocking disgrace!

The PC platform is about open standards. Not ring-fenced like Apple.

Isn't that again a problem down to amd though?

AMD choose the open source path largely because they don't want to be stuck supporting it (also because if you're going to be last and with a solution not as good, you don't have many choices...) hence why with their solutions, they always do an over the fence approach (cough cough Roy even admitted this a long time ago). Probably why we still aren't seeing FSR uptake for consoles either as amd simply don't want to or can't spend the time and money to help developers implement it, someone raised this question about implementation paths on the github repo and they basically said it is up to the developers how they implement it, which is also why it's not as easy to update to latest versions like it is with dlss.

Nvidia did offer an open source solution, which would have implemented all 3 upscaling solutions in one go but amd refuse to support it, so much for doing what's best for the community and developers eh.... Funny thing is, if they had jumped on this, FSR 2+ would probably be in more games than it is now.

Last edited:
Last edited:
  • Haha
Back
Top Bottom