Force / extension graph

Associate
I have looked online but cannot find much in the way of a force against extension graph for steel. Can anyone provide me with any insight as to what this should look like.

Soldato
graph_01.gif
its how much the steel streches when force is applied to it,
related to hookes law.

Associate
Kinda like above, but where the peak is there will be a more marked peak (quite sharp), after which there will be a short elastic region (depending on the amount of carbon etc), followed by a break (where the steel breaks).

jonc

Soldato
JonC said:
Kinda like above, but where the peak is there will be a more marked peak (quite sharp), after which there will be a short elastic region (depending on the amount of carbon etc), followed by a break (where the steel breaks).

jonc

Yeah like i said my paint skills rock

KaHn

Associate
OP
Is a stress / strain graph the same as a force / extension graph? I think it is. Stress is the force per unit are applied at right angles to that area, whilst strain is the extension per unit length. So they are the same thing are they not?

Associate
SoSolid said:
Is a stress / strain graph the same as a force / extension graph? I think it is. Stress is the force per unit are applied at right angles to that area, whilst strain is the extension per unit length. So they are the same thing are they not?

No, IIRC you divide the two to get some other figure for the material. Its been a long time...

Back
Top Bottom