Ford Focus Idle Problem plus others

Soldato
I've got a bit of an issue with my Ford Focus at the moment where you come to a stop and the revs drop passed the normal idle (~800rpm) shudders and then recovers and it then sits happily with no problems. The idle control valve was cleaned by a friend which helped but it still does it, more noticeable when you've got the front/rear screen, lights etc on. I was wondering if there could be anything else which could be causing the problem before buying a new ICV £41 + VAT. Everything is fine until the engine is warmed up as the ECU is in control and keeps the revs at ~1200rpm until warm. You also notice it pulling away from junctions as you need a few more revs otherwise a slight shuddder occurs as well :o

The other two issues which I've got are half the rear screen not working (bottom half) and a strange slight shake that you can feel through the car when going up hills... I've had all the wheels balanced but the rear tyres are some really crap 'Event' tyres so they may the problem as they're on the back wheels. Therefore, more pressure on the rear wheels when heading up hill so you'd feel the imbalance more and through the car? :confused:

Soldato
Hmm when the idle control valve was faulty on my ST170 it would not idle when cold but fine when warmed up. Does yours have a maf sensor on it? Maybe this needs a clean? You can adjust then throttle cable maybe it's loose and needs the slack taking up?

Soldato
Take your TB off and give it a clean with some carb cleaner. That should hopefully resolve it, or make it a bit better. Should be like a 10-15min job max. :) Or get the car into Ford and see if their is an ECU update. :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers. I asked a lad who worked at Ford and he said that you couldn't clean the MAF? Will try to get the TB off and cleaned. I'm not sure if they'll be an ECU update as the car is a 54 plate (Nov 2004) so basically one of the last off the production lines before the new shape. would have ironed out all the bugs by then? Maybe :o

Soldato
Cheers. I asked a lad who worked at Ford and he said that you couldn't clean the MAF? Will try to get the TB off and cleaned. I'm not sure if they'll be an ECU update as the car is a 54 plate (Nov 2004) so basically one of the last off the production lines before the new shape. would have ironed out all the bugs by then? Maybe :o

I know that you could do, on the Mk1 focus (not sure if it's the case with yours) just disconnect the MAF sensor and spray some IPA on the connectors. Then just take your airbox or induction kit off the TB and then undo like 4 torx screws to get it to come off... oh and un-hook the accelerator cable. Obviously if the car is fly-by-wire just disconnect the plug instead. :)

Associate
There was an ecu update for my 53 reg focus suffering same symptoms as yours, I spent around £150 replacing parts before I finally put it into ford for a diagnostic, think it was £70 and included the ecu update. (Think it’s called Idle undershot or something similar on the bulletin)

Will get the invoice out if you need more info.

--------------------------------------

Soldato
OP
There was an ecu update for my 53 reg focus suffering same symptoms as yours, I spent around £150 replacing parts before I finally put it into ford for a diagnostic, think it was £70 and included the ecu update. (Think it’s called Idle undershot or something similar on the bulletin)

Will get the invoice out if you need more info.

--------------------------------------

That'd be brilliant if you could :) It's really annoying and especially on a fairly new car, its certainly worth trying before buying any parts :) Cheers mate.

Associate
Cost was £70 + VAT for a full diagnostic which includes any updates etc. this was at GK Ford.

dsc00463bt4.jpg

Hope the above is of some help, your local Ford service department should be able to tell you if an update is available for your car.

---------------------------

Soldato
OP
Cost was £70 + VAT for a full diagnostic which includes any updates etc. this was at GK Ford.

<< snip >>

Hope the above is of some help, your local Ford service department should be able to tell you if an update is available for your car.

---------------------------

That's brilliant, the fix sounds exactly what I'm experiencing. Cheers for finding the invoice, much appreciated. Will get booked in and report back to let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed :)

Soldato
OP
Update

Well not exactly an update as such but the car seems to be behaving itself at the moment probably with the colder weather so I'm holdiing out for now going to get the ECU updated. Once I do get around to doing it, I'll update the thread with the results :)

I noticed the other morning that infact its only 3 lines on the rear screen which aren't working which isn't too bad - just annoying. Sadly got too much work on at the moment to get around to looking into the problem :(

Going to get the wheels swapped front to back (best tyres on the back) and see if that changes the slight shake. I've also heard that on-car balancing can sometimes fix this sort of problem, although does anyone know anywhere around Newcastle that does this? :)

Associate
I dont think putting the cheapo tyres on the front will do you any favours especially given the crappy weather. If the back tyres are that poor then replacing them with something better shouldnt cost that much and will be very worthwhile.

Soldato
OP
I dont think putting the cheapo tyres on the front will do you any favours especially given the crappy weather. If the back tyres are that poor then replacing them with something better shouldnt cost that much and will be very worthwhile.

Well, I'm 99% sure the best tyres should go on the back as this will reduce the chance of oversteer. It's also easier to tell when pushing too hard as the the front will understeer plus its easier to feel :)

I'll get around to buying 2 new tyres, another pair of Rainsport2 but it's about £174 for a pair fitted :( Best get some wear out of these cheap one's first, just taking it easy :)

Soldato
OP
Further updates

Car is booked in next Saturday for the ECU update :) I'm also get the VSS module replaced due to the speedo dropping to 0 the other day :( Will be £100 inc. parts and labour, thanks to Ford Friend's and Family :D

Had the wheels which I had 2 Uniroyal Rainsport2 tyres fitted rebalanced and all the weights removed before this was done. I was then amazed when the shake disappeared and it now drives 100x better! I also got offered 2 Eagle F1 GSD3s fitted and balanced for £170 inc. vat (205/50/R16) :D

Soldato
OP
Another Update

Had the PCM updated to the latest level and was flagged by the TSB :) Thanks again Dutch777! Had the ... reset which controls the fueling, idle etc so will no relearn and adapt to my driving style. So far so good *touch wood* seems to have improved things so far but only time will tell. Also, as my mate is a technician had him hunt out the footwell lights which are tied to the wiring harness ;) Nice little feature and all they needed was 2 bulbs, woo! Total cost £35.65 inc. VAT :cool:

Will be getting the VSS module fitted on Saturday, along with a set of new spark plugs. Will do once last update in about a weeks time to give the final verdict on whether the problem has been fixed once and for all!

Associate
Bit of a thread revival!

BeatMaster - I have got the exact problem as you have and I took my car into my local garage and he said that the driver's side engine mount needed replacing so I got a new one the other day & I had it fitted yesterday but it didn't cure the problem :(

My Focus which is the 52 reg 1.6 Zetec has been doing this for ages but the only thing I have not tried is changing the spark plugs (current ones on the car are fine),ICV and I got some carb cleaner for it today but I have a feeling that this will only improve it slightly just like it did for you. I noticed on your last post in this thread that you did have the ECU update carried out and that seemed to of cured the problem. After all this time did the ECU update back in Jan 09 perminantly cure the problem? Also do you know if Ford would still do these ECU updates now?

If you reply to this mate I would greatly appreciate it! :) Thanks - Liam

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can safely say the PCM updated cured the problem and I no longer have any any problems with the idle. Even when using lights, heated screen and stereo the idle remains steady and doesn't shudder at all. I would definitely speak with Ford and they should be able to issue with the latest PCM update which *should* solve the problem.

Before doing this you could try disconnecting the battery for an hour which will clear the settings for fuelling, idle etc. Over time it will then re-learn and adapt to your driving style which might fix the problem without a trip to Ford.

Hope this helps Liam, keep us posted on how you get on :)

If you require any further information or have any any other questions, feel free to ask :)

Associate
I can safely say the PCM updated cured the problem and I no longer have any any problems with the idle. Even when using lights, heated screen and stereo the idle remains steady and doesn't shudder at all. I would definitely speak with Ford and they should be able to issue with the latest PCM update which *should* solve the problem.

Before doing this you could try disconnecting the battery for an hour which will clear the settings for fuelling, idle etc. Over time it will then re-learn and adapt to your driving style which might fix the problem without a trip to Ford.

Hope this helps Liam, keep us posted on how you get on :)

If you require any further information or have any any other questions, feel free to ask :)

Beatmaster - thanks so much for your quick responce mate :)

Yeah my problem has been bugging me for ages, mine just shakes/vibrates whenever the car is at idle and is especially worse when I have got the air con on or any of the electric etc. It never does this after a cold start or when the engine is cold (you said the same about yours when the engine is idling at 1200rpm). Thanks for your advice as well I will give the battery trick a go and see if that makes an improvement. I will also contact my local Ford about an ECU update, how much did it cost you altogether mate?

Thanks again! - Liam

Soldato
OP
Sounds exactly the same symptoms, especially with it not happening when the engine is cold and going through it's warm up procedure. It cost £35.65 but I'm on friends and family as my mate works there. I think worse case scenario it'll be 1 hour labour but hopefully should be 30mins and under £40.

Good luck and fingers crossed :)

Associate
Sounds exactly the same symptoms, especially with it not happening when the engine is cold and going through it's warm up procedure. It cost £35.65 but I'm on friends and family as my mate works there. I think worse case scenario it'll be 1 hour labour but hopefully should be 30mins and under £40.

Good luck and fingers crossed :)

I was meant to ask you mate - did you ever look at the engine block itself when you had this problem? On mine the entire engine block is constantly shaking excessively when idle and this is what is causing soo much vibrations in the inside. I made a video of my engine block yesterday but sadly because of the frame rates on the iPhone it doesn't keep up with the shaking engine properly and on the video the engine just looks like it's near enough rock solid :(

Thanks once again mate - Liam

Soldato
OP
Can't say I ever looked at the engine block itself but I suspect it would have done something similar when it was struggling around the 800rpm mark as it would be running lean/revs not high enough. I remember my lights used to flicker as they dimmed/brightened but its been quite a while now since it was fixed. Shame about the iPhone video but not to worry.

Let us know how you get on :)

Back
Top Bottom