Ford focus Vs Volvo V40 or Other?

Soldato
So someone came to look at my mini today and I think it may be sold.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...rly New&onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&page=1

I need a replacement, it needs to fit a pram and a bit of language, ideally not too bad on fuel.

So my thought is a focus 1.5 Ecoboust titanium X or a Volvo T2, T3, D2, D3 is a nice trim level.

Budget is £10k

Any suggestions, sub 50k miles and around 2014 up

Soldato
I'm not convinced a Focus would have the boot size you may need but this depends on the pram you have.
Take the pram and car seat with you when you look at cars and you'll be able to rule a lot out pretty quick if they fit /work for you.

Soldato
I'm not convinced a Focus would have the boot size you may need but this depends on the pram you have.
focus boot space taken from parkers website
How does the boot space compare?
Check the table below to see how the Ford Focus Hatchback (05-11) compares to other similar cars in terms of available boot space.

Model Boot space
Honda Civic Hatchback (06-11) 485 litres
Nissan Qashqai (07-13) 410 litres
Ford Focus Hatchback (05-11) 385 litres
Vauxhall Astra Hatchback (09-15) 351 litres
Volkswagen Golf Hatchback (09-12) 350 litres
Peugeot 308 Hatchback (07-13) 347 litres
The newer focus 2011-2014 boot space is only 316 litres
Ford Focus hatchback (2011-2014)

Luggage room is a bit of a weak point in the Focus, too. A seats-up capacity of 316 litres is only 17 litres more than you’ll get in the smaller Ford Fiesta, and the Focus trails its main rivals, the VW Golf and Vauxhall Astra, by 64 and 54 litres respectively.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/ford/focus/hatchback-2011-2014/practicality

Last edited:
Soldato
£10k should easily see you in a 2015 or newer Focus. I recently bought one of these, in Titanium X spec, with the 1.5 TDI engine for family transport. It's fine enough, but really isn't big enough for me and my 2 kids. And free tax, and a genuine 50+ mpg average make it cheap to run. We don't need a pram anymore, thankfully, but I'd imagine it would be a struggle to get anything else in the boot if there was a pram there. I can get my work bags in there easily though, which are a full backpack, and 2 medium sized offshore kit bags. It's not actually that much tighter in there than in my 2001 S40 boot though. But the newer S40 I suspect will have a larger boot.

I'd be suggesting looking either for something bigger, doesn't have to be maybe Mondeo big, but A4 / 3 series sized maybe. Or if you want to stick with the smaller car, then go for the estate. That way you can at least pile stuff on-top of the pram.

The difference between my 5 series estate and 3 series estate was that in the 5 series I could fit the pram in length ways, leaving half the boot floor free for shopping, rather than the 3 series needing the pram to go across the boot, meaning shopping had to be placed around it. So if you don't mind something bigger, get the bigger motor and save yourself some hassle.

I've just bough an old (2005) Honda CRV for the extra size, as trips to Costco / Ikea or wherever, there just wasn't enough boot space in the Focus or S40.

Man of Honour
You can get 2014 VW Passats for this money - fine car and loaded with spec, practicality, safety and space.

Can also get a Touran just about in those requirements though might have to make some slight compromises i.e. 2013, <50K miles, 10K or 2014, <50K miles, 10-11K, etc. and a decent family vehicle with good space, decent spec and good economy and they are basically an oversized Golf so performance and handling isn't terrible.

Soldato
I can confirm that my wife's mk 3 focus st boot is quite small. We have a graco pram and that pretty much fills her boot. My e92 boot is quite a bit bigger, we managed a week in newquay with a pram and 2 kids and very little had to go in the cabin.

Underboss
I have a MK2.5 Focus (2009) and according the Parkers dimensions, the newer Focus is smaller then the previous generation, especially the boot !
my Brothers wife had a 2017 Focus Zetec S and it is smaller as she previously had a 2009 Focus as well

i personally would suggest something bigger, Civic/Octavia/mondeo

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. I’m going to have to go and take a look. The v40 is very nine inside but the boot is not much good.

I will look at some of the cars suggested in this thread. I may have to go up to a Passat or something like that.

On a side note I also need a pram that will fit in a i8 boot. Going to try the Yogo

Soldato
Love the Mondeo (550 litres space) for throwing the pram in. Still looks empty. One of the main reasons i upgraded from an Audi A3.

The pram also fits in the Mk1 Focus (375 litres space) we have but it uses all the boot.

Soldato
What about the BMW 2 active tourer ? Maybe a bit more money but not too fussed
Dreadful, hateful things.
S-Max would be a better choice, albeit without the matching badge - decent to drive and the Ecoboost engines are decent. Ti-X spec gives all the gadgets. C-Max with the sliding doors is more practical for access, but not as nice to drive.

A 3 series tourer would offer a far nicer experience if you had to buy German, but your budget would need upping to meet your other requirements.

Skoda Superb has decent space in boot and for rear facing car seats - that'd be me choice.

Back
Top Bottom