Ford Ka 2012 Misfire

Soldato
Hi all

My sister has a 1.25l Ford Ka late 2012. It throws the following codes:

P0300 - Random/Multiple Misfire
P0301 - Clyinder 1 Misfire
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire

It started Sunday last week, having only been serviced the Saturday. Having full service, including spark plugs, timing belt and water pump.

The misfire will only happen at speed, 60/70mph. It starts up fine and drive around town, pull away with no feeling of being down on power.

Was serviced and timing belt etc changed by the same garage and technician who we've used for years for this and other vehicles. They rechecked timing and also threw a set of leads on it and re-checked basics.

I've taken it to a friend of mine who's a tech at another garage.

We pulled the plugs and checked those, cleaned throttle body and swapped the coil. All to no avail.

I am going down the line of it's probably a coil taken out the ECU with it as when it misfires you can pull over, cycle the key and the misfire will have gone away.

Anybody had any similar experiences? Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

Soldato
OP
We swapped a new coil pack onto it and took it for a run today, still misfired at speed so that came off and went back to the motor factors!

Spark plugs were replaced last week with NGKs which are the OE plugs for that engine.

Soldato
OP
Finally, an update.

Took it to the Ford Dealer where she bought it and they have diagnosed it as needing a new coil pack and PCM, for circa £1200 incl. VAT.

My sister is now considering her options, as we can get rid of it for ~£2000 and get her an upgrade in the process as the Ka is base model, no central locking, no A/C and 3door. She's commitment free from rent/mortgage so seems like a good opportunity to upgrade now. But we shall see.

The dealer have been a nightmare to deal with despite the amount of information I've given them about the car, the history and when the codes set. They took it out two days in a row and couldn't re-produce the fault. I re-confirmed at length in writing (and with freeze frame data) in an email to the service advisor and they still couldn't re-produce the fault, specifically stating the speed and length of journey required to set the codes. I had noted the mileage of the car when I dropped it off, and when I got back in it after it being at the dealer for 2 days they had put 18 miles on it. So my words had clearly fell on deaf ears. I drove it out onto the dual carriageway, and within 15 miles I had it producing the fault again and codes set.

I dropped it off again the following morning and I then had to chase again later that day for the diagnosis.

Soldato
OP
That seems a lot for coil packs on a KA. Or anything on a KA really.

Yep, but the coil has taken the PCM with it and requires replacement as well.

With the cost of repair compared to the value left in the vehicle doesn't seem the smartest of moves to me.

Back
Top Bottom