Foreign Food Horrors

Associate
Following an hilarious conversation with a rather straight laced woman with whom I used to work, I thought it would be rather inneresting to hear people's gastronomic horror stories from their travels.

Regarding my ex-colleague, well she's one half of one those squeaky clean couples that are obsessed with hygiene to an OCD level.

So they go to India (!). On their first day in Calcutta(!) they
spot a chai wallah and decide to have a cuppa.

Declining the paper cups into which he's about to decant their hot beverages, they delve into their backpacks and produce 2 plastic cups that they'd brought with them, giving each a good wipe with alcohol gel first.

They then hand the cups over to the wallah who then proceeds to strain the tea from the urn strapped to his back through the filthy vest that he was wearing into their 2 mugs.

ISTR they stayed in India for 24 hours before heading off to New Zealand .

Regarding my own experiences, mine's a rat taco but I can't vouch 100% for the provenance of said item of street food purchsed in Mexico City other than that it definitley wasn't beef, as claimed.

What's yours?

Associate
Pretty much anything in the hot locks meals from the Far East DFAC in Kandahar.

There'll definitely be a few people here who have had the dreaded black meat chicken nuggets.

Associate
Not quite Horrors, but qualifies for Yuk status:

Angel Delight or similar, made with seawater, served in a hotel in Africa

School trip to Paris and stayed in v cheap accommodation with food included. One night we had some meat served up, and some people were beginning to tuck in and then question what sort of meat it was. One kid on my table shouts loudly "Oh my God, it's horsemeat". Cue 32 sets of cutlery being dropped and a mass walkout. Always bothered me because I was never convinced it really was horsemeat. How would I know? How would the kid have known?

Associate
OP
Pretty much anything in the hot locks meals from the Far East DFAC in Kandahar.

There'll definitely be a few people here who have had the dreaded black meat chicken nuggets.
NATO contract?

I got an offer and turned it down. €600 pd sharing a room with a stranger whil Taliban mortars are raining down, no thankyou.

Soldato
Chicken gizzard in Japan. It was NOT clear it was Gizzard until I started to chew. and chew. and chew. Being Japan, I didn't want to spit it out, so I was chewing for rather a long time before hiding as much in my cheeky as I could and heading to the bathroom.

Associate
OP
Chicken gizzard in Japan. It was NOT clear it was Gizzard until I started to chew. and chew. and chew. Being Japan, I didn't want to spit it out, so I was chewing for rather a long time before hiding as much in my cheeky as I could and heading to the bathroom.
Don't have to go to Japan for that. Try a Salade Landaise in France ;)

Soldato
Ordering blind off a menu in a pub in Prague.

What I got was half a boiled egg, in the middle a plate of bright green goo that didn't taste of much at all. I still have no idea what it was.

I only ate the boiled egg.

Soldato
Ordering blind off a menu in a pub in Prague.

What I got was half a boiled egg, in the middle a plate of bright green goo that didn't taste of much at all. I still have no idea what it was.

I only ate the boiled egg.

Should have got the pigs knee, it's a ridiculously sized pork knuckle, slow roasted with dark beer. Very simple but was great.

I had deep fried spider and grasshopper in Cambodia.

Crunchy.

I had scorpion in HK, didn't really taste of anything.

Chickens feet were odd but tasty, as were duck tongues.

Camel burger in Morocco was decent, but a bit dry.

Horse steak in France was fantastic.

Is that €600 per day?
I'd chop a bollock off for that

Looks at name.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Tunisia, something described as 'chicken' in some sort of a sauce.

Closer examination of the bones in this dish, revealed they were far too small to be chicken bones, tiny infact.

Me and the Missus are still convinced they were sparrows.

Associate
OP
Tunisia, something described as 'chicken' in some sort of a sauce.

Closer examination of the bones in this dish, revealed they were far too small to be chicken bones, tiny infact.

Me and the Missus are still convinced they were sparrows.
Yes, I believe in that paet of the world, they employ huge nets to catch birds, including migratory birds. Some have said this is the reason for us seeinh lower numbers of swallows and swifts.

Back
Top Bottom