Formula E 2022, 2023 and 2024

Soldato
Formula E has moved to Channel 4 for terrestrial coverage this season. Expect qualifying on Youtube and some races too. As in previous seasons Eurosport continue providing more TV-based coverage.

The season starts today, with both the (unnecessarily complicated) new qualifying and race on C4 Sport's Youtube channel.

Qualifying (12:30):

Race (16:30):

Tomorrow's coverage is split with qualifying again on Youtube while the race is on Channel 4, both at the same time as today.

Soldato
The different qualifying format is good to watch - a duel between two drivers to progress into the next round. qtr, semi and final for pole position

Soldato
OP
The different qualifying format is good to watch - a duel between two drivers to progress into the next round. qtr, semi and final for pole position
It will be interesting for the first few races, until a standard settles and inevitably the quickest cars and drivers will rise to the front.

Half of Formula E's fun came from the top drivers usually being disadvantaged in the previous format (as they had to go out in the first quarter of qualifying on a track with less rubber which meant it was harder for them to get through to Super Pole), so much of the action was the faster drivers trying to move forward in the race.

Obviously that element is less likely now, so we'll see in the coming races whether it results in more boring races - something FE desperately needs to avoid, as that's the only real draw for the sport. Other forms of racing have other selling points, where continual action is more of a plus than a necessity - but Formula E needs to retain the spark it had before this qualifying change, as frankly in terms of motorsport people won't tune in just because it is the pinnacle of electric motorsport.

Associate
Both those opening races we great, I don't understand the lack of popularity tbh

Haters going to hate and being on a bandwagon im afraid.

Watched since first season and happy to follow as developed into a great series with some top drivers competing.

Last year of these gen 2 cars. Think next year will offer a big step in performance.

Caporegime

I though it didn't really work. 9 events to choose pole just feels like too many. A few of the duels were exciting but most of them felt like a bit of a damp squib, and it was all rather strung out. I would prefer the odd/even sessions followed by a single superpole with the top 8.

is it still road tracks this season? or proper racetracks?

Mostly road tracks but this is a good thing. These tracks are designed to suit the characteristics of Formula E cars, whereas - as we saw last year - the cars don't really suit the more normal tracks. They're going back to Monaco though, a track that seems far more suited to Formula E than F1. The last race was a real classic.

Associate
I'm a massive motorsport fan in general but have never really got into Formula. I watch it because i love motorsport but the racing doesn't feel right. Too much reliance on attack mode and battery capacity limits how fast they can do.

Soldato
OP
Both those opening races we great, I don't understand the lack of popularity tbh

I don't really understand it either, though I suppose no motorsport gets any real traction compared to F1 in the UK, no matter how good the racing is. NASCAR didn't do anything here, Indycar probably gets ~150,000 viewers for the Indy 500 and maybe a tenth of that for other rounds and I bet even the BTCC struggles to get many more.

It's a shame as Indycar is brilliant, as is Formula E for the most part (I still say Fan Boost can do one) and both usually offer better racing that F1, but the casual motorsport fan just isn't interested.

I have to say, he's decent on the radio doing F1 (as was Croft), but Jack Nicholls is brilliant doing Formula E on TV. Even fairly boring races he makes sound exciting like so few can do, and it's genuine excitement too, not forced like Croft or Allen. A bit like a young Ben Edwards was, drawing you in and infecting you with that excitement too (older Edwards is still better than everyone else around, and I hope he's just taking a break).

As a side note, it was interesting seeing just how far off the pace (even in flat out qualifying) Giovinazzi (and Ticktum, oh no) was last weekend. Just goes to show how strong the field is in FE.

I though it didn't really work. 9 events to choose pole just feels like too many. A few of the duels were exciting but most of them felt like a bit of a damp squib, and it was all rather strung out. I would prefer the odd/even sessions followed by a single superpole with the top 8.

I think they're trying to get more people into qualifying, as the previous format wasn't the most exciting. That said it did make for an exciting race as the faster drivers were more likely to be further down the field, though if one did do a great job to get into super pole they had a massive advantage for the race, so I suppose this formats eliminates that.

I still feel when a standard pattern emerges that we'll end up with more boring races, but time will tell.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a massive motorsport fan in general but have never really got into Formula. I watch it because i love motorsport but the racing doesn't feel right. Too much reliance on attack mode and battery capacity limits how fast they can do.
I watched my first race in ages last weekend and I too couldn't get on with it. The "Attack mode" seems like a daft gimmick. It almost felt like 8 minutes of racing interspersed between 37 minutes of range anxiety. I get that it is meant to be tactical but it didn't feel like motorsport to me.

Also the ending where cars cross the line but because the battery gauge is on zero they are "out of power" and therefore are eliminated from the standings... what's that all about!? I get it from a technical point of view ie. have an actual battery capacity and then a smaller available capacity to ensure any differences between a particular cars packs are eliminated and you don't suddenly have cars conking out on the last lap but that just felt weak from a viewers perspective.

Soldato
Formula E has revealed the Gen3 car for next year. Lighter, smaller, more powerful, more efficient. All looks like a good thing.

Looks interesting. The talk of 'refuelling' using a 1MW charger looks interesting, 16.7kWh per minute is a huge amount of energy, to be pushing into a battery, but I guess if they can handle the huge regen amounts then the charging sounds realistic also.

Soldato
Race starting soon, lets hope it as good as last year, makes up for the the F1 having Monaco on the weaker track list, although it might be better this year with the new car design.

Back
Top Bottom