FortiClient VPN weirdness (MAC OS)

Associate
When I connect to Forticlient VPN to access our work network google chrome no longer connects, other locally installed Apps work and connect successfully to an internet connection (like slack, Safari etc).

Any pointers as this is driving me loopy. Mac OS Sonoma 14.1.2 on an M3 Pro. Tested internet via thunderbolt and wireless - same issue. Also tested with Firefox and Edge - same connection (or lack of) issue.

Thanks.

Soldato
Safari works but third-party browsers don't is a little odd - possibly DNS (see if you can specify your own on the tunnel) or browser DoH (can be disabled in Chrome/Firefox iirc; i don't believe Safari supports it).
I would be getting your IT department to look at it though as it maybe something org-wide.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well group IT don't technically support Macs although they don't restrict the use of them, so they will be no help. Ive tried toggling Secure DNS to no avail. My work Windows 11 laptop works fine with the same VPN client. My mate is a IT director for a large company who support Macs and Windows and he was baffled as well (he did suggest the secure DNS and updating DNS to 8.8.8.8 but neither worked). Thanks though.

Associate
OP
I tried Chrome, Edge and Firefox, none connect when connected to VPN, only Safari works. Also slack and other apps work fine, just appears to affect any browser other than safari.

Associate
OP
Managed to resolve it by disabling Sophos Home, think it was Sophos Network Content Filter Under VPN & Filters causing it. Although now need to work out why and get around it.

Associate
OP
Oh in that case did work install this or was it you?
Yeah I installed it, not work. My MacBook is my personal laptop, have a windows device provided by work but just prefer Mac OS, hence no IT support :D

Edit, it was Sophos Malicious Traffic Detection causing google chrome connection issues when VPN enabled - ironic really!

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to resolve it by disabling Sophos Home, think it was Sophos Network Content Filter Under VPN & Filters causing it.
If it's primarily for 'viruses' then personally i would remove Sophos and replace with something like Malwarebytes (free) and periodically do manual scans - malware and ransomware are the biggest issue with MacOS.

It's a mac.
Gatekeeper has been bypassed in the past (https://cedowens.medium.com/macos-gatekeeper-bypass-2021-edition-5256a2955508) and Patrick Wardle has a good blog on recent MacOS malware/ransomware variants and his investigations (https://objective-see.org/blog.html).
Each to their own though if a user deploys something...

Back
Top Bottom