FPS affected?

Pretty much.

The more stuff you have running in Windows, and the more software and data you have your harddrive affects the performance of the whole system.

However, as long as you kill any programs/services/processes that you dont need, get rid of data and software you dont need and regularly defrag your HDD you shouldn't have many performance issues - at least none that will show up during normal gameplay.

SiriusB

IwantanewPC said:
Are FPS and the pace games load at affected the more you install and use your system?

If you defragment then no. Fat 32 drives would have done this but as long as you use ntfs then this doesnt happen anymore. Assuming that you don't have extra processes running because of the stuff you installed.

Some games have huge data files that get badly fragmented if you don't have much free disk space when installing. Try to keep about 25% of the disk free to give more chance of files staying together. A defrag after a game install will help speed up load times a small amount.

Personally I partition my hard drive to help reduce this fragmentation. Windows on C, Apps on D, Games on E, Downloads on F. This makes it easier to keep the games in tidy lumps, as well as being sure to have spare space on C for any temp files.

The built in defragger is probaly good enough, but PerfectDisk is a huge improvment. Also get yourself a copy of PageDefrag to keep your swap file and registry defragged.

I wiped my system fairly recently having more than 40 odd games installed plus load of other apps etc. I was starting to see lag especially in bf2, after a fresh install everything is much quicker...including booting up - takes about half the time it used to! Now im going to try and keep a fairly uncluttered system.

Fulcrum said:
Diskkeeper is a good defragger too. I shall have to move my bf2 install to a NTFS drive though, didnt think it made that much difference if I kept it defragged.

Yeah this keeps my system in top top condition :D.
Since I leave it on 24/7, it defrags automatically for 4 hours each morning, 2-6am.

Really good.

MC_Bob

Commercial defraggers do a more thorough job of it and usually give options on how to organised files on the disk. They can also defrag registries, MFTs and partition tables and stuff like that.

Also, you dont need software to defrag a pagefile. You dont need to defrag it at all. Just go into your virtual memory settings, set the pagefile to 0MB, reboot then set it back to the original size and reboot. Windows will delete the old pagefile, and recreate a new one in one contiguous file :)

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom