Fractal Design Define R6

Soldato
I'm really NOT impressed with Fractal... they have released a product which has stock issues. Their "parts store" lists a single part for the R6 (the flexi cable at 10X the ebay price) which is NOT IN STOCK and there has never been a single entry even for the new HDD sleds.. What is the point of a box that can take 11 HDDs if you cannot get (new, or used - I drop strong hints here I am willing to buy) the parts needed to do so.

I have owned Define R3 and R4, currently have an R5, S and XL but I'd prefer to be able to manage my systems down to a loaded Threadripper box full of HDDs, GPUs and VMs.. but I cannot... :( Don 't they want MORE of my money?

Associate
Hi I've been emailing Fractal support directly and they have been extremely helpful but would anyone know if a rad with these dimensions 460 x 140 x 40 mm fit in the top of the case with the front shroud in the back position?

Associate
Hi I've been emailing Fractal support directly and they have been extremely helpful but would anyone know if a rad with these dimensions 460 x 140 x 40 mm fit in the top of the case with the front shroud in the back position?

Just did a quick measure and it should fit if you remove the shallow 5.25" bay bracket at the front. However, the top of the R6 is a bit odd in that's it's very shallow. My standard 140mm fan with 25mm depth is not far from the top edge of the motherboard. If you had a motherboard with a shallow VRM cooler then a slim (<30mm depth) 120mm based (120-480) rad might fit along with some fans but it would definitely have overhang on the top of the board. This might get tricky with CPU connectors etc. A 140mm based radiator would probably collide with components on the top of the motherboard. However, with the HDD shroud in the back position there's ample room in the front.

Based on your dimensions it looks like you're trying to get a 3x140mm radiator in the top? With the 40mm depth as per my comments above, this might be a very tight fit or not even fit at all once you factor in CPU connector and MB VRM cooler. Unless you're going for a monoblock?

Associate
Thanks for checking that's a great help! I was thinking about a 480mm Aqua computer rad that is 40mm thick or a 360mm 56mm Thick hardware labs GTR Rad but Fractal have said that it would fit in the top but would only give 32mm clearance for RAM and i think mines 35mm without a few mm for the socket. They did say the 360 GTR would fit in the front without any issues so i think that's the best option.

Associate
Here is mine:
Amazingly silent and cool and looks nice too.
Air cooled
[email protected]
DH 15 Idle CPU DeltaT 10 Celsius
Full load CPU and GPU delta T 44 Celsius

No much difference between 50% cycle duty on all fans and 100%... air flow is sooo good.
Temperature difference Door open vs door closed 3 Celsius under full load

3 fans on front..

Setup for that is:
Front
NF-P12 at the bottom
NF-P14 in the midlle
F14 on modified top

floor:
2 x F14

CPU DH-15 with two NF-A15

rear
NO fan

slot covers removed

attached some images from progress...weather probe visible on 6.jpg

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/gipsy4/fractal/1_zpsmrytgmmf.jpg
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/gipsy4/fractal/2_zpsok278wso.jpg
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/gipsy4/fractal/3_zpszglevai9.jpg
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/gipsy4/fractal/4_zpsubkhlhhz.jpg
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/gipsy4/fractal/6_zps3b8ofssx.jpg

Soldato
Received my one of these today, accidentally ordered the one without the glass side panel. Does anyone know if you can order the side panels seperately? Alternatively,anyone want to swap a glass panel for a metal one?
I think you can, I don't own the case but know you can put a glass panel on the back also.

Associate
They will have the spares available, just at a later date.

Well I have been waiting so long their own systems removed the query and I had to re-add it...

What is the point of selling an incomplete product? Not just HDD trays but also that GPU bracket is still not out... It's damaging Fractals rep IMHO

I think you can, I don't own the case but know you can put a glass panel on the back also.

As of the latest update (19/02/2018), Fractal are still obstinately refusing to "consider offering" TG side panels or additional drive trays as seperate purchases: http://support.fractal-design.com/s...r-additional-hdd-ssd-trays-for-the-define-r6- , even though you'd think the very fact that it's a listed as a "FAQ" would in itself be a bit of a giveaway.

It's really beyond irritating that buyers apparently have to beg for the privilege of being permitted to purchase spare parts; maybe Fractal's recent success has gone to their collective heads and led to a certain arrogance and contempt towards their paying customers.

Soldato
Not removable..they used some adhesive on it

Looks to me like you might have some spare drive caddies to sell ;) See my sig!

As of the latest update (19/02/2018), Fractal are still obstinately refusing to "consider offering" TG side panels or additional drive trays as seperate purchases: http://support.fractal-design.com/s...r-additional-hdd-ssd-trays-for-the-define-r6- , even though you'd think the very fact that it's a listed as a "FAQ" would in itself be a bit of a giveaway.

It's really beyond irritating that buyers apparently have to beg for the privilege of being permitted to purchase spare parts; maybe Fractal's recent success has gone to their collective heads and led to a certain arrogance and contempt towards their paying customers.

Understatement!!!!!!!!!!! I have owned Define R2-3-4-5 I think from memory, plus Define XL, Node 304 (x2) and one other that escapes me.

I am NOT putting a penny more Fractals way until I can source drive trays so I can fill an R6 with 10-11 HDDs plus SSDs for my server

Associate
I'm really NOT impressed with Fractal... they have released a product which has stock issues. Their "parts store" lists a single part for the R6 (the flexi cable at 10X the ebay price) which is NOT IN STOCK and there has never been a single entry even for the new HDD sleds.. What is the point of a box that can take 11 HDDs if you cannot get (new, or used - I drop strong hints here I am willing to buy) the parts needed to do so.

I have owned Define R3 and R4, currently have an R5, S and XL but I'd prefer to be able to manage my systems down to a loaded Threadripper box full of HDDs, GPUs and VMs.. but I cannot... :( Don 't they want MORE of my money?

I want to downsize from my Lian-li 343b that houses my server as over the years I have had it hard drive capacity has grown and I no longer need to house 16-20+ Hard drives and 2 PSUs thus freeing up much needed floor space. The Define R6 looks ideal for my needs both in form factor, cooling and quietness so of I went to find out where I can source more Hard disk sleds in the UK only to find I cant source them from anywhere even from Europe. Majorly disappointing as it looks Ideal otherwise.

Soldato

Yeah screw that I won't be buying a glass sided case when it can go bang and no chance of getting a spare side.

Associate
Well after finding a non windowed one that was B grade stock at a local computer retailer I went down and had a look to see if it had all the parts etc. Reason for b-grade was a slight paint imperfection on the top so as its for a file server not a show build I took the plunge and brought it for £97 to put in motion the 1st part of my cunning plan. Now I am going to buy a toughened glass side panel version to house my next gaming system that I will purchase after the new ryzen cpus come out in april and use the hard drives sleds from this to fully populate the file servers slots.

Soldato
Well after finding a non windowed one that was B grade stock at a local computer retailer I went down and had a look to see if it had all the parts etc. Reason for b-grade was a slight paint imperfection on the top so as its for a file server not a show build I took the plunge and brought it for £97 to put in motion the 1st part of my cunning plan. Now I am going to buy a toughened glass side panel version to house my next gaming system that I will purchase after the new ryzen cpus come out in april and use the hard drives sleds from this to fully populate the file servers slots.

I'm sure you posted that JUST to make me groan... Its the only way to get sleds it seems :(

Associate
I'm sure you posted that JUST to make me groan... Its the only way to get sleds it seems :(

No nothing personal but does seem a silly situation. Now I find out that you can only get the black ones in the uk currently so no white case for my next build it seems but Im a old bloke so funtion over form is the name of the game nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom