Fractal Design R3

Associate
It's got plenty of sound proofing as standard, I'm guessing none was added as it looks similar to mine. Mine only came with 1 front fan and one rear though.

Associate
Do you think I could get away with not purchasing any additional fans, I have a stock core2duo cpu with zalman 9700 fan and pre oc 9600gt?

i would say yest to this
i bought Moeks R2 case and have installed my second system into it.
i run 2 x 8800GTS 320Mb video cards and an AMD X2 5000 cpu unlocked to a AMD Phenom II FX5000 cpu being cooled by a Zalman 9500NT cpu cooler.
ive only added 1 fan to the system as i already had it which is the 140mm i took from my Lian-Li case.
My current temps are 29C for the cpu which is approx 5c warmer than my old case. and my cpu's are running at 85c and 74c which is lower than my old case.
My video cards run 100% load 24/7 doing F@H.
As for noise this case is lot quieter than the case it replaced.
Ive put the extra heat from the CPU down to the massive amount of soundproofing material in the case. Which makes this case very heavy but also quiet.

As for your system spec the 2 stock 120mm fans should be more than adequite.

Associate
I just done a build with this case & I'm honestly surprised how well it keeps things cool, no hdd vibrations, hdd mounts are ssd ready too & I only added 1 extra fan at the front to make 2, didn't bother with the fan controller so the fans are running at full so it's not as silent as I was expecting but it is good, if I had one for myself I would replace the fans with Enermax UCTB12 T.B. fans, 2 in the front, 1 in the back & I expect it would be strangely silent for a pc as long as you don't have a noisy gpu, cpu or psu fan but even with just the stock 2 fans it's nice & quiet.

For a general usage media pc this case would be perfect, for an overclocked gaming rig it has many extra ready made fan mounts in perfect spots, so it's a strange awesome case tbh as it doesn't need modding in the slightest for extra cooling & caters for the super quiet pc bunch as well as enthusiast air cooled bunch, the only downside to this case is wire management is tight behind the mobo but just about manageable making for an unobstructive flow of air & looking neat on the inside, oh & the all black interior is awesome too :D.

But having said that about a media pc I installed an asus rampage formula x48 with tuniq tower cooling a q6600 @ 3.2ghz & a 4870x2 a couple of hdd's, an ssd & an optical drive so considering it's cababilities it is nice & quiet & temps are fine.

Shows how cases have come along since I started making them myself, it almosts voids the point in doing scratch builds lol.

When you open the front door the noise rises a bit, when you open the side panel the noise raises quite a bit so the noise absorption material is doing a good job.

Associate
Quick question about these would i be able to fit a slim double radiator and fans to the 2 fans slots at the top of the case.

Cheers

Associate
Estimated time is the 26th though it isn't a certainty :(! wouldn't mind someone from HQ say though because id defo pre order if it was in on that day :)

Ordered one from somewhere else last night made sure the "in stock" was there, bought it only to get an email 5 mins ago to say it wasn't grrr.

Soldato
Quick question about these would i be able to fit a slim double radiator and fans to the 2 fans slots at the top of the case.

Cheers

My Answer so far is no, not with my mobo anyway. As it stands with a P5Q-E there is enough room for some 25mm thick fans & not much else (probably about 30mm or so total before I hit the higher mobo parts).

Perhaps with a better laid out board it wouldn't be such an issue. I currently have my PA120.2 on the outside with the fans inside, thinking of getting a slim rad & mounting it inside with the fans outside.......not sure though lol.

Associate
Hmm even with a different mobo i dont think it will be possible then darn.

Just took a little look at the Scythe slip stream slim fans and there far from quiet with pretty crap airflow so i think that idea has been busted lol.

Associate
Decided not go for the R3 after reading it was pretty much impossible to mount a rad in the case without serious modding.

Ending up getting a lian li pc25fb to replace my 700d; which should be fun as that doesn;t have obvious mounting room for a 120.2 as the exhaust fans are 140mm, will figure out something to mount it though!

Associate
Estimated time is the 26th though it isn't a certainty :(! wouldn't mind someone from HQ say though because id defo pre order if it was in on that day :)

Ordered one from somewhere else last night made sure the "in stock" was there, bought it only to get an email 5 mins ago to say it wasn't grrr.

The 26th really? I've been holding out for this case for quite some time as I have an R3 at work and this would be great for my gaming rig.

I would have thought all the retailers would be in the same boat waiting for stock (or all the stock is on the same boat :))

Associate
The 26th really? I've been holding out for this case for quite some time as I have an R3 at work and this would be great for my gaming rig.

I would have thought all the retailers would be in the same boat waiting for stock (or all the stock is on the same boat :))

They were buddy, I managed to bag one from a competitor on Saturday (that luckily got there batch confirmed for Friday on Wednesday) and it arrived today thank god! ive been waiting for a case replacement for yonks :D

Is anyone here wanting any pics of this case?

few little niggles about it but all in all great case and im up for grabbing my sisters camera if anyone wants some snips :)

Edit: the rubber gromets were absolutely rubbish though id read about it before but didnt realise how bad it was until today, got in from work about an hour ago and chopped some rubber bands up "bungee" modded my hard drives and its absolutely silent!

On a side note my case turned up with a scratch :/ but im looking at getting in touch with them about one of the fan holders on the front anyway :) also managed to squeeze a Scythe Kama Meter in the front!

Last edited:
Associate
Go for it Evil...I'd be interested in seeing some more pics :)

Any other niggles apart from the rubber grommets?

Well...
The front part that holds the fans is annoying though its probably just mine, ive had to mount one on an angle otherwise it rubs on the dust filter and makes a horrible noise :/

overall very very very impressed annoyed i've had to mount the fans with rubber bands though XD

Back
Top Bottom